Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.2.1 Firmware - Can no longer make or receive voice calls - Call Failed

Hello,

Ever since upgrading to firmware 2.2.1 I can no longer make or receive voice calls. Regular text and internet services are fine.

My AT&T meter is at five bars, but as soon as I dial out or somebody tries to call me, the meter drops down to zero and the call will end. The error message left on the screen is "Call Failed."

Has anybody else experienced this issue? I've read a few posts, but are your symptoms with the AT&T meter the same? How do I fix this? The phone has been worthless for a few days now.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 12:37 PM

10 replies

Feb 5, 2009 4:00 PM in response to icebike

Hello all,

I tried the hard reset, but it didn't get the phone working again. I also tried resetting the network settings, but I am still unable to make of receive phone calls. When I check the voicemail, again the bars drop down to zero and there is a message above stating that visual voicemail is unavailable.

Frustrating, people think I am hanging up on them on purpose and ignoring their calls.

I don't know why but I've always had problems with Apple's updates. It like half and half with Mac OS X and now the iPhone.

Feb 5, 2009 4:37 PM in response to Core

Hi Core.

I had the exact same problem with my brand new iPhone 3G. I tried all the same "fixes". I called the Apple help line and spent over an hour with a very helpfull and knowledgeable guy to no avail. I then went to my service provider (Vodafone) to check network settings and try a new sim. Still no go.

It turns out that it is a hardware problem with the handset. Vodafone would have taken 6 to 8 weeks to get me a replacement. I again went directly to the Apple help line. The troublesome phone was returned to Apple and I got a replacement within a few days - all at no cost to me.

I hope this works out for you.

Feb 6, 2009 12:32 PM in response to amitobluesky

Argh,

I tried turning off 3G, but still no go. Then I reset all settings, but that hasn't helped either.

Looks like this 2.2.1 firmware is junk. I don't think the hardware is to blame, especially when the problems occured immediately after the update.

I'm afraid to send it in because I'll probably be sent a refurbished phone in return. The is phone just over a month old.

Message was edited by: Core

Feb 7, 2009 9:03 PM in response to Core

If the problem was the "junk" 2.2.1 firmware, none of the other millions iPhone 3G users who upgraded would be able to make calls either. This is obviously not the case. Since you haven't run any hardware diagnostics on your phone, you have no logical basis for claiming it isn't a hardware problem.

If you have followed this form, there have been a small percentage of iPhone's that have failed in various ways after upgrading to every firmware version that has been released so far. It appears to be the upgrade process itself, and not the firmware, that causes these susceptible phones to fail - probably because of a marginally functioning component that got tanked in the process.

2.2.1 Firmware - Can no longer make or receive voice calls - Call Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.