Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the creation date of a clip?

I have a lot of old movies that I took with an early Sony digital camera in MPG format that I converted to .dv files so that I could import the files into iMovie. This worked very well except that the movies now appear in the event library as having been created on the date they were converted to .dv rather than the date they were taken. So a movie shot in 2001 appears in the 2009 calendar.

I found an article by Christopher Breen on the Macworld website ( http://www.macworld.com/article/136692/2008/11/changeimoviedates.html) that gave two suggestions on how to change the creation date of the clips, one by manually changing the clip name to reflect the date and the other using an application called "A Better Finder Attributes".

I tried both methods and the creation date of the movie does change but iMovie does not generate a new calendar to reflect the creation date as Breen suggests will happen. So if I change the creation date to 2001 iMovie does not create a 2001 year calendar with the clip under it, it keeps the clip in its original year but the creation date changes.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get iMovie to create the appropriate year and have the old clips appear in that calendar?

Thanks in advance.

iMac, 17 Powerbook, 12iBook, Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 12:56 PM

Exit out of iMovie, and then start it up again.
7 replies

Feb 6, 2009 1:13 PM in response to Kevin Plumb

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get iMovie to create the appropriate year and have the old clips appear in that calendar?
Yes and Yes. Option-Click/Select the clip you want to change. Control-Click/Right-click the selected clip to open the "context menu" and select the "Adjust Clip Date and Time..." option. Make the changes you want and the clip (using the same "Event" name) will be moved to the appropriate calendar year. If no such calendar year icon already exists, a new one will be created.

User uploaded file

Feb 15, 2009 7:29 AM in response to Jon Walker

I really need help here. This strikes me as a HUGE FLAW in the iMovie software. I have old mini-dv tapes I am trying to import. First, I have to use iMovie HD to import them into the Mac, since iMovie 09 does not import them, just as iMOvie 08 didn't (why didn't they fix this in 09?). 09 allows you to then import the iMovie HD projects, but when it imports them, it assigns them to event date/times as to when the projects were made, rather than use the date/times from the clips themselves. So I then have to go through every clip, clip by clip, open it in iMovie HD, doubleclick on the clip to open the date/time stamp, then manually enter that date/time on the clip in iMovie 09. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Has anyone figured out a solution? I really can't invest the hours to change every clip. Clearly this is a huge software flaw, because who cares when the project was created? The whole point is to know when the clip was filmed, that is why the camera embedded the date/time to begin with! Does anyone know if/when Apple will fix this bug with an update?

Feb 15, 2009 8:02 AM in response to Bill Eacho

Bill,

I feel your pain, but I think you will find an answer in the Christopher Breen article I mention in my original post ( http://www.macworld.com/article/136692/2008/11/changeimoviedates.html). He mentions a way of batch changing the date of clips by using "A Better Finder Attributes", http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderAttributes/index.html.

Hope this solves your problem.

How do I change the creation date of a clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.