Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Un-expectantly quits when iPod touch 1st generation is connected.

Okay so I think that I have tried everything possible for this but I am not sure. My iPod touch started killing iTunes on wednesday for no reason at all. I got the classic, "iTunes Un-Expectantly Quit". For the first time I thought it must have been a bug , but It keeps happening. I have reinstalled iTunes, and restored my iPod to factory settings to no avail. Is there something I am missing?

MacBook Pro, iPod touch, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 6, 2009 9:09 PM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2009 9:54 PM in response to wathieme

Hi There

You may be one of the few customers who has been affected by the 2.2.1 upgrade causing crashes in iTunes Problem.
I came across this article on macrumors today

After the iPhone 2.2.1 firmware update, some users found they had persistent problems with iTunes crashing with both iPhones and even iPods. Apple has issued the following email to some of the affected customers:
Dear Customer,

Recently, we uncovered an issue which was causing iTunes to unexpectedly quit when synced with an iPod or an iPhone. This issue impacted a small number of users, and we have identified your account as potentially being affected.

If you have experienced this issue, please follow these steps in order to sync your iPod or iPhone with iTunes:
1. Launch iTunes
2. Select "Deauthorize Computer" from the Store menu
3. Enter your iTunes Store Account ID and Password, then click the Deauthorize button
4. Next, choose "Authorize Computer" from the Store menu
5. Enter your iTunes Store Account ID and Password, then click the Authorize button

Once you have successfully deauthorized and reauthorized your computer, you should be able to >>sync your iPod or iPhone to iTunes.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced as a result of this issue.

Thank you for being an iTunes Store customer.
iTunes Store Team

The fix has been circulating on the internet for a number of days and many readers have reported that this procedure corrects the problem. Some, however, have to take the additional step of "purchasing" a Free iTunes App after following the steps before syncing will work again.

Hope this helps
J.C

Feb 17, 2009 5:30 PM in response to hogy911

Same here. My iTunes crashes every time I connect my iPod Touch. I've tried all the authorizing tricks to no avail. iPhoto is the only application that seems to work nicely with my ipod, it doesn't show up in the finder & crashes iTunes before it shows up as a device.... Come on Apple how about a little help!

Feb 18, 2009 5:33 AM in response to wathieme

So i contacted itunes rep through the chat support, and he told me (after going through some troubleshooting, and discovering it was .m4p files that when i tried to transfer to ipod were crashing it) to deauthorize all accounts and uninstall and reinstall itunes then re-authorize accounts (when u do this be sure to back up your purchases so they're not all lost on you) i did it, and to my amazement, it worked... zero issues since then... hope i helped all you fellow strugglers out there..

iTunes Un-expectantly quits when iPod touch 1st generation is connected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.