Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Designing an Airport Network

Question 1.
I have the document:
"Designing Airport Networks Using Airport Utility"
The cover says "Mac OSX V 10.5"
I am running 10.4.11.
Can I use that document?
Is there another for 10.4.11?
Question 2.
The directions that come with the Airport Extreme say that you need to use the Airport Utility that comes in the package (I have a new extreme due today); other utilities will not work. I have a copy of an airport utility on my computer that came with the Airport Express that is currently powering my network.
Do I need to remove the old utility before installing the new one. Or will it overwrite it? How do I do it and not get the two conflicting when I set up the new network?
Probably a dumb question, but I do not have any experience with removing applications from the Mac.
John

PowerMac G5, Dual 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Macbook, Airport Express, Lacie BU

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 8:19 AM

I am running 10.4.11.
Can I use that document?

Yes.

Earlier documents referenced Airport Admin Utility or Airport Management Utility. They may not work with the newest Airports. You can use Apple's latest Airport Utility for all Airports including older models. You don't need to remove the old program, but if you want to get rid of Airport Admin Utility just drag it to the Trash.
Probably a dumb question, but I do not have any experience with removing applications from the Mac.

You simply drag them to the Trash. No uninstallation programs are necessary. Only Windows requires you to conjure a wizard to do something as simple as erasing a program.

OS X stores individual program preferences in ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/ApplicationSupport but these are usually very small and can be ignored.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2009 8:19 AM in response to johnhewitt

I am running 10.4.11.
Can I use that document?

Yes.

Earlier documents referenced Airport Admin Utility or Airport Management Utility. They may not work with the newest Airports. You can use Apple's latest Airport Utility for all Airports including older models. You don't need to remove the old program, but if you want to get rid of Airport Admin Utility just drag it to the Trash.

You simply drag them to the Trash. No uninstallation programs are necessary. Only Windows requires you to conjure a wizard to do something as simple as erasing a program.

OS X stores individual program preferences in ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/ApplicationSupport but these are usually very small and can be ignored.

Feb 7, 2009 8:30 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John.
The new Extreme and Express just got delivered by Fedex.
I will undoubtedly be back again with more questions as I begin the upgrade of the system.
I intend to make the switch to the Extreme before adding the Express as an internet access point to connect my Blu-ray player and an iTunes streamer.
My first task is to figure out how to delete the Express and add the Extreme w/o screwing up what is a (at present) functioning network.
I appreciate the help. Makes me confident I can do these things.
John

Feb 8, 2009 9:08 AM in response to johnhewitt

My first task is to figure out how to delete the Express and add the Extreme w/o screwing up what is a (at present) functioning network.

Approach the task as if you're setting up a new network from scratch. You'll be better off that way. You will "screw up" your network before you get it working again. Not to worry, that's normal 🙂

Designing an Airport Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.