Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add "Run Shell Script" in Automator

When I drag "Run Shell Script" to the right pane in Automator nothing happens. All other applications I've tried can be dragged to the right pane. In the system.log I can find the following message:

Feb 7 16:56:48 Bananaboat Automator[195]: Error : -[AMWorkflowView _addAction:Kör kommandotolksskript] : * -[NSTextView replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil NSString given.

"Kör kommandotolksskript" is "Run Shell Script" in Swedish.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 8:09 AM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2009 11:09 AM in response to red_menace

I get the same message with the language set to English. I changed it in the configuration (cogwheel-icon) so that Automator started in English instead of Swedish. Here's the error message:

Feb 7 20:03:02 Bananaboat Automator[776]: Error : -[AMWorkflowView _addAction:Run Shell Script] : * -[NSTextView replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil NSString given.

Feb 7, 2009 12:11 PM in response to serons

You might have a corrupted file in the action, in which case you could reload it with something like Pacifist. You can't get the digest of a directory, so for comparison, compressing a copy of /System/Library/Automator/Run Shell Script.action on my desktop gives me the following:
sha1 digest: c209b69777f6a3301d72ddf0eb0ad4e7d4230741
md5 digest: 09e4ade9056ada3294ffb93bd16de1a7

Mar 18, 2012 2:56 AM in response to serons

I'm encoutering exactly the same problem and same error message:

Error : -[AMWorkflowView _addAction:Run Shell Script] : * -[NSTextView replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil NSString given.

I'm unable to add a "Run shell script" action into an Automator workflow.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.8 on a version 2.0.4 of Automator.

Any help?

Can't add "Run Shell Script" in Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.