Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WEP Key Index

Mac Wifi doesn't support Key Index... I think.

I need to configure my mac to work on our corporate wifi network. The problem is that our corporate network requires a key index of 2. Having this reconfigured is not an option.

Is there any patch or third party support?

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.6), early 2009 model

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 3:08 PM

Not as far as I could find. And I lived with this for several years.
I need to configure my mac to work on our corporate wifi network. The problem is that our corporate network requires a key index of 2. Having this reconfigured is not an option.

A few years ago, I worked at HP and they used this stupid WEP rotating key algorithm based on using all 4 WEP keys, which they rotated once a month. They got around to using key 0 every 4 months. So for 3 months a year, I could use my Powerbook Pismo without an ethernet cable attached. It was a royal pain in the ...

I never figured out how to use any WEP key other than key 0.

WEP is so easy to crack, your corporate IT group is crazy for using it, even if they are using keys 2, 3 and 4.

The WiFi network at the company I currently work for, requires that you make a VPN connection. The WiFi network itself does not require any password, but the only place accessible on this network is the corporate VPN servers. So without a corporate VPN account the WiFi is not much use to anyone. And it has the benefit that all transmissions are encrypted using the VPN, which is much stronger than WEP.

And even more surprising is that my company actually provides a Mac and Linux VPN client for their VPN servers! When I worked at HP they purchased some rediculously small number of Mac VPN licenses and you could not get one of them. I do not think any of the Linux users even had that.

I do not know of any. Sorry.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2009 3:08 PM in response to MichaelHarsh

Not as far as I could find. And I lived with this for several years.

A few years ago, I worked at HP and they used this stupid WEP rotating key algorithm based on using all 4 WEP keys, which they rotated once a month. They got around to using key 0 every 4 months. So for 3 months a year, I could use my Powerbook Pismo without an ethernet cable attached. It was a royal pain in the ...

I never figured out how to use any WEP key other than key 0.

WEP is so easy to crack, your corporate IT group is crazy for using it, even if they are using keys 2, 3 and 4.

The WiFi network at the company I currently work for, requires that you make a VPN connection. The WiFi network itself does not require any password, but the only place accessible on this network is the corporate VPN servers. So without a corporate VPN account the WiFi is not much use to anyone. And it has the benefit that all transmissions are encrypted using the VPN, which is much stronger than WEP.

And even more surprising is that my company actually provides a Mac and Linux VPN client for their VPN servers! When I worked at HP they purchased some rediculously small number of Mac VPN licenses and you could not get one of them. I do not think any of the Linux users even had that.

I do not know of any. Sorry.

Feb 8, 2009 7:05 AM in response to MichaelHarsh

Thank You - I found this explanation very helpful. I know that WEP is not the protocol to use, but that's what our IT department is running and I can't change that.

What I really don't understand is why Apple does not support key index for WEP. Seems like a partial implementation of WEP and OSX. It drives me crazy that the XP / Dell system I replaced works fine on the corporate wireless network & to use my new MacBookPro I need to plug in the Ethernet.

Feb 8, 2009 12:52 PM in response to BobHarris

Interesting... I went down the same path and loaded parallels running XP on the VM. This problem is the the virtual machine uses the OSX operating system and manages the interface to the wireless hardware. I can run wireless in bridged mode, but I can't use the XP HW drivers to interface directly with the wireless hardware... probably a good thing.

Feb 14, 2009 10:50 AM in response to iSphere

If you switch your router to WPA, then you will need to have your XP systems use WPA. But I do not think this should be a problem. Most likely just a matter of re-entering the WiFi Password and saving it.

NOTE: I do NOT have any real experience with WIndows. In theory this should not be a problem. The only issue might be if the XP systems are very VERY, like 7 or 8 years old. In that case it is possible that the WiFi card might not know how to do WPA encryption.

WEP Key Index

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.