Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem creating encrypted disk image

I have just moved from an Aluminium PB G4 with 10.3.9, on which I successfully created encrypted disk images and sparse images.

I now want to do the same on a brand new WD My Book attached to the new Macbook Pro. I open Disk Utility and click New Image. But when I do so, there are fewer options than there are on the old machine. I only have

Save As
Where
Image Format
Encryption

No option for specifying size, no sparse option.

Also, if I try and create a dmg on the My Book, I get 'Unable to create "myfilename.dmg". (Invalid argument)'

Any suggestions? Thanks

Macbook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2.53Ghz 4GB

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 4:31 PM

this is strange. you should get more options. try File menu->new-> blank disk image.
3 replies

Feb 7, 2009 7:06 PM in response to nerowolfe

V.K.'s suggestion worked. Thank you. But now I've found that I get the full set of options in Disk Utility too. Baffled.

In the week I've been using my new Macbook Pro, I seem to be getting eerily similar experiences, i.e. apps don't work right, then I quit and next time they behave themselves. Yes, I know it sounds weird.

Is this an appropriate place for me to ask further questions. Namely, what's the best place to find out about 1. read/write v. sparse disk v. sparse bundle? 2. partitions - should I used them, whatever they are? and 3. why are the bigger disk images called CDs and DVDs? If I want a passworded place to put files on my external drive, bigger than 500MB, is there any reason not to use one of the CD/DVD size options?

Thanks

Problem creating encrypted disk image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.