Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '09 + New Quicktime = Crappy Performance

So I was using iMovie '08 running on Tiger & everything was just peachy. All my clips were smooth as silk, even 1080p clips in H.264 were jitter-free & I could fly through them using the scrubber. No probelmo.

Well now guess what happens when I upgrade to Leopard to get iMovie '09? You guessed it. Everything goes straight down the toilet.

Basically the only clips that don't stutter & stammer along are the ones that were converted to Apple's Intermediate Codec. Everything else is almost unusable because now almost all my clips behave like they're too much for my 2.16GHz Core2Duo 24" iMac to handle (which I know better). Even some clips that I play directly through Quicktime are now acting kinda jerky. And Im talking small 720p clips, not gigantic ones.

Through the months & years, I've been noticing a decline in Quicktime performance on my machines after updating to the latest versions. Its more apparent on older machines obviously. It almost seems that Apple is purposely making QT run crappier on older machines so we will have to upgrade our hardware. Even on clips that played fine using previous versions.

This blows. My machine is perfectly capable of running these clips just fine. Apple needs to stop whatever it is they're doing to make QT less efficient.

24" iMac 2.16GHz Core2Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 5:20 PM

1 reply

iMovie '09 + New Quicktime = Crappy Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.