Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXTREME PROBLEM: iMac G5 will not turn on

Yesterday night my second iMac G5 (3 or 4 years old) froze while I was using Google Maps. The screen was completely frozen, I could not move the mouse or anything. After a while the fans suddenly began going very fast and were louder than I had ever heard before. I waited a while and then shut down the computer using the power button and restarted. The light came on as usual, but there was no "on" chime and the screen remained dark. I could hear the fans going very quietly, but nothing else happened, so I again shut down, this time removing and reconnecting the power cable before restarting. Same result, nothing. Each time I shut down I did hear an odd click noise, which sounded like a heavy clock tick, and it scared me because it's similar to the sound a heard the last time I had a problem with this computer. It was 2 or 3 years ago, and for an unknown reason the computer would shut itself down and eventually did not turn on. I ended up losing the entire hard drive. The sound was not exactly the same -- last time it happened, there was a steady ticking accompanied by a series of beeps, but I thought I would mention it.

Unfortunately I have nothing backed up and I'm not crazy about losing another hard drive. I continued trying to shut down and restart last night. One of the other times I tried to restart, I was able to get the computer on, only after having left the cable out for over five hours. However, after signing in, the computer froze again, this time on the login screen, just after it had accepted my password. I had to shut it down again after that, and it hasn't turned on since. I left the cable out for seven hours overnight, but this morning I had the same result, the computer would not turn on. I'm very worried because of this computer's history that this could be a hard drive killer. I would very much appreciate any assistance before having to take it in to our Apple Store. The odd thing is that prior to the crash, I had not installed any new software or done anything out-of-the-ordinary, though I do think that the hard drive was getting a little full. The computer was in great shape though as far as I knew. Thank you for any help!!!

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4), The specifeid OS may be incorrect, I'm not able to log in to see what it is.

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 6:03 AM

9 replies

Feb 8, 2009 6:45 AM in response to Amy's Mom

SOrry to hear about your problem, if you can turn the computer on, try using Target Disk Mode to get your data off. It does sound as if your drive is failing, although it could be the logic board as well. One more thing to do would be to take out a stick or RAM at a time, and see if that os the problem. Have you tried to start using the install disc? If none of that works, I'm afraid a trip to Apple would be the next thing....

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2009 7:23 AM in response to Amy's Mom

To start from the install disc, hold down the c key while booting. If that works, use Disk Utility:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If you can, then reboot from your internal drive and repair permissions.

I am also suspicious of the RAM, so would advise removing one stick at a time, and then alternating them to see if one of them is bad.

Also, find out how much free space you have on your hard drive, less that 10-15% will cause problems.

User uploaded file

Nov 1, 2018 11:52 AM in response to Amy's Mom

I had the same problem with the cd being stuck. I finally got it about by connecting the iMac to another mac. I made the iMac the Target and was able to tell the iMac to eject that way.

Feb 8, 2009 7:52 AM in response to Amy's Mom

Don't remove all of the RAM at once, do it a stick at a time, the computer does not need to be running when you do this. To get the stuck disk out, hold down the mouse button while shutting down or starting up. You can also lay the computer face down on a soft towel, and press the eject button on the keyboard while trying to start up.

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2009 8:09 AM in response to MGW

Thanks John, I'll give that a try if I get started up again. I have tried the mouse method to no avail, and laying the computer down did not work either. After I stood it upright again, I attempted to turn it back on and was able to get it past the chime and the gray screen, but it froze before coming to the login screen. It's now back off and still will not start. I'll try to remove some RAM, hopefully it will work. Thank you for all of the help.

Feb 8, 2009 9:02 AM in response to MGW

I was able to get it back on! Oddly enough it started up after I tried laying it down to get the disc out, so that might've helped somehow. I began frantically copying stuff over to my other computer, then repaired and repaired permissions. The hard drive's at a little over 10% so I'll get that cleared out considerably but it seems to be doing fine right now. Quite the scare that was. Thanks for your suggestions, especially the face-down one, it was very helpful (indirectly, I suppose).

Feb 8, 2009 9:19 AM in response to Amy's Mom

Use [whatsize|http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/44018] to see which applications are using us disk space, you can then decide which ones to remove.

Glad things are looking up, but please, make a bootable clone of your system, I use SuperDuper! in case things go wrong again, which they likely will, the root of your problem hasn't really been addressed, although clearing stuff out and freeing up hard drive space might actually solve the matter.

User uploaded file

EXTREME PROBLEM: iMac G5 will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.