Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you enter Unicode characters?

How can I enter Unicode characters?

In Windows I can just:
1) Press and hold down the Alt key.
2) Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
3) Type the hexidecimal unicode value.
4) Release the Alt key.

How can I do this on the Mac? I don't want to use the Character Palette; I just want to be able to directly type the character in. Is this possible on the Mac?

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2GB RAM, Barracuda HD

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 4:15 PM

First go to international system preferences-> input menu and check the box next to "Unicode hex". then switch to unicode input in the menu bar. now to enter a unicode character you hold alt and enter the hexadecimal unicode value.
7 replies

Feb 8, 2009 4:22 PM in response to Dunestrider

Many common ones are already mapped to the keyboard, using the option key, which is one reason you can't just use the 'alt' key.
If you're looking for the more obscure, then use V.K.s method. You can also set a keyboard shortcut to switch between input methods (Keyboard Shortcuts in Keyboard & Mouse sytem prefs); however, the default is cmd-space and cmd-shift-space (spotlight's shortcuts), so you'll have to change them to something else.

How do you enter Unicode characters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.