Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder SideBar

2 questions on finder sidebar.

I keep my finder window open to the left of my desktop and would like to know if it's possible to collapse the sidebar further so that only the icons show (as in 10.4)

I often go to the finder window and sometimes click on sidebar which causes whatever is in vicinity to open. Is there a way to make finder window active first without opening whatever is under pointer?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 12:35 PM

Unfortunately in a couple respects I consider the Leopard Finder a downgrade from Tiger and you've just hit one of the areas. Yes, you can close the sidebar by clicking on the lozenge at the top right corner of the Finder window. But it also gets rid of the toolbar and makes the window behave more like the OS 9 window.

Far as I know you are stuck with sidebar's focus superseding the window above it. Sorry.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2009 12:35 PM in response to Gordon A Bonnel

Unfortunately in a couple respects I consider the Leopard Finder a downgrade from Tiger and you've just hit one of the areas. Yes, you can close the sidebar by clicking on the lozenge at the top right corner of the Finder window. But it also gets rid of the toolbar and makes the window behave more like the OS 9 window.

Far as I know you are stuck with sidebar's focus superseding the window above it. Sorry.

Finder SideBar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.