Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still caan't send mail when using wifi away from home - why not?

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I have been using Eudora on OSX for years. But I have never once been able to use Eudora to send mail when I leave home and use wifi or a phone modem. So I have to use webmail which is intolerable. Every so often I waste an evening trying to understand the problem online, and I fail every time. I can't take it any more. I tried using Eudora Cleaner to convert to Apple Mail in the hope that that would solve the probelem, but that was a disaster so I'm persisting with Eudora. Travel and wifi are now facts of life. Why on earth is sending mail such an impossibility? Please take pity.

Macbook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2.53Ghz 4GB

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 5:25 PM

Your pleadings are useless here.
You need to talk to your ISP. Most prevent sending unless you are on their network.
They may have an option to authenticate their SMTP server.
14 replies

Feb 12, 2009 6:51 AM in response to strida

Why not sign up for a free gmail account and use it's SMTP server to send your mail? You can set your account in mail.app to use your home ISP's SMTP server by default, but if you add gmail's server (which you will be able to access if you sign up for a free account and turn on the option for POP/IMAP access), you can also send mail when you are away from home using gmail's server.

Feb 13, 2009 2:10 AM in response to doogald

Thanks for suggestion. I haven't got it to work yet, and there are suggestions online that googlemail doesn't 'support' Eudora.

Has anyone managed to send mail from Eudora using googlemail while away from home? Is this the right place to be asking that? Is it reason to make another attempt to change to Mail? (I tried that before and got into a mess, and mail is way too important for messes so I went right back to Eudora.)

Thanks

Feb 13, 2009 4:45 AM in response to strida

This has nothing to do with Eudora. It has to do with your ISP.

Like all ISPs, you can only send mail via your own ISP's outgoing mail server. When you're away from home, and accessing the Internet via a third party, you can access your incoming mail but no email application can access your ISP's outgoing mail server, because the "outgoing mail server" information you entered in the email client (in this case Eudora) remains specific to your own ISP and can only be accessed when you are connected to the Internet via your own ISP.

And that's the way it should be, because if not, any Tom, Dick, or Harry could access your mail.

You'll just have to get used to sending via webmail, when you are away from your own home or office connection. As a long time Eudora user (and Eudora fanboy) I've been doing this for years. If you just can't stand not being able to send from Eudora, change your Eudora settings when you're away, so that it doesn't send when checking. Just accumulate the emails as you write them, and then do a maxi-send when you get back to base. Only reply to the really urgent messages via webmail.

It isn't "intolerable" as you put it. Racism is intolerable. Violence is intolerable. But not being able to send your email using Eudora is a long way down the scale of things that are intolerable.

🙂 🙂 🙂

BTW I totally agree what what you said about Apple Mail. That's why like you, I'm sticking with good old Eudora.

Feb 13, 2009 5:07 AM in response to Tom in London

Yes Tom, but he pain depends of course on how often you have to change. But you're right.
I forgot to mention, in addition to the first option I gave, that sometimes to get this work you need to use an other port for the SMTP server (which is normally 25) if the account provider supports that. Sometimes they have port 2525 open as well and the provider that you are on at that moment might only disallow port 25 (which means that any other port can be used). In this case the ISP needs to be contacted what the port options are. Sometimes they open an extra port for you on request.
Anyway, in these days of spam, port 25 on a SMTP server, that is not a SMTP server of the connection provider, is normally blocked.

Feb 13, 2009 5:07 AM in response to Tom in London

"simply change the SMTP server settings (temporarily) to the SMTP server of the ISP"

Sorry, simply what? How do I do that? Isn't that what I've been trying to do with googlemail? And (as usual) failing?

Okay, I'm intolerant. But in a world where I can summon movies out of thin air onto a magic silver tea tray, and use the same tea tray to have free videophone conversations with someone in Venezuela, why can't someone invent a way for me to keep my correspondence organised when I go to a cafe down the road?

Feb 13, 2009 5:14 AM in response to strida

Read our posts carefully and try to understand what is going on. The problems you have originate in the first place from ignorant spammers out there. As a reaction on that ISP's are blocking port 25 to avoid anonymous people using any server the like. As explained before your ISP might be able to provide you with a workaround, see the previous posts for your options on this if you like to cut out using webmail. Hope this helped.

Feb 13, 2009 5:56 AM in response to strida

Whether this will work is decided entirely by the provider of internet connection at each point. Most wireless points are blocking Port 25 for sending, and if you only have a SMTP that will work on Port 25, you are out of luck. Those SMTP that are fully authenticated (this means authenticated separately from the Incoming) can be used on Port 587 (or Port 465 when using SSL, usually) and then sending works at these locations blocking Port 25.

One of the advantages of using a .mac or gmail account, is that they provide a separately authenticated SMTP, which then does not have to be used on Port 25. You must talk to your ISP to find whether they offer "a SMTP to use when traveling" -- phrase the question like that, and don't mention that you are using Mail or a Mac, because that does not impact this issue, at all!

If you talk to your ISP, ask them if they have a SMTP to use when traveling -- don't mention Mac or Mail cause it doesn't matter -- if they have a fully authenticated SMTP that is what they will tell in answer for use when traveling.

Settings for the SMTP are checked and changed by clicking on the arrows beside the name of the Outgoing Server (the current SMTP), and then choosing Edit Server List, which results in a window with two tabs -- the first is where name the SMTP, and then click on the Advanced Tab in the same window, and that is where you select Port and type of authentication.

Ernie

Feb 13, 2009 6:39 AM in response to strida

I just installed Eudora. Wow, that has to be one of the most complicated mail clients that I have ever used and set up.

That said, yes, you can definitely send mail using gmail's smtp server from Eudora. It uses an SSL connection as well, so if you are using a WiFi provider that blocks smtp's TCP port 25 (as some do) you should still be all set. I was definitely able to set up my gmail account using IMAP in Eudora.

If you are looking to avoid using mail.app I might also suggest taking a look at the free mail client Thunderbird, from Mozilla, which also works quite well with gmail, and has the ability to import mail from Eudora as well.

Feb 13, 2009 6:51 AM in response to doogald

🙂

yeah, it's complicated, but that's because it has lots of options and features. What I like about it most is that it is *completely reliable* and exhibits none of the innumerable issues that people are continually experiencing with Apple Mail.

BTW you can set up Eudora to check all of your mail from all accounts, all at the same time, including Google (Gmail). Easy.

Of all the possible alternatives to Eudora (and I've tried them all) Thunderbird looks to be the most promising - but it still has a long way to go before I'd be prepared to move over from Eudora. I can't see it happening any time soon.

Feb 13, 2009 7:11 AM in response to Tom in London

Tom in London wrote:
🙂

yeah, it's complicated, but that's because it has lots of options and features. What I like about it most is that it is *completely reliable* and exhibits none of the innumerable issues that people are continually experiencing with Apple Mail.

FWIW, I have no issues with Mail, and I have been using it (heavily) with 11 mail accounts for more than two years now.

BTW you can set up Eudora to check all of your mail from all accounts, all at the same time, including Google (Gmail). Easy.

I have never used a mail account that cannot do this. Mail.app, Thunderbird - they can both do this. Mail.app is not perfect - it's rules are too basic - but I like the integration with Address Book and iCal, as I use those to sync with my phone. That said, when I first switched to Mac I used Thunderbird, because that's what I was using on Windows, and it worked great.

But, like I said, sign up for a gmail account. In settings while in gmail, choose to use IMAP (I suppose you could use POP as well, actually.) When you set up the gmail account, use the proper servers (imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com). The user name is the full e-mail address - whatever@gmail.com. You need to go to the SSL setting page in Eudora and tell it to use SSL for IMAP and SMTP (both set to "Required - Alternate Port").

Once you verify that gmail is working ok, I think (I say I think because I am using Eudora in sponsored mode, so I cannot set up multiple personalities) that you use the SMTP relay setting to relay your outgoing mail in all of your accounts to use gmail's smtp server. Because it is using SSL TCP port 465, it is unlikely to be blocked, as some WiFi providers will block all SMTP port 25 traffic, and your home ISP is obviously not having you log in to use SMTP (as most probably do not), so they will not accept outgoing SMTP mail traffic from outside their network. Gmail, by design, will, and you have the added benefit of having the traffic encrypted, so your password and your mail are not sent using clear text.

Feb 13, 2009 7:16 AM in response to doogald

You must be using the wrong version of Eudora. The two sponsored mode/paid mode options were discontinued a long time ago when Qualcomm stopped supporting it. Or so I thought. Or maybe that's because I registered for it years ago......so long.....can't remember......nothing bad has ever happened with it.....I think this thread must be about finished by now....

Still caan't send mail when using wifi away from home - why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.