Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Potential impact of iPhone 3G camera removal?

Hi,

I'd like to know whether there could be any adverse effects to the removal of the camera, regarding the OS.
This is because my workplace doesn't allow for camera-enabled phones, so if I want an IPHONE, i'll need to remove the camera.
So the question is, will the phone function at all?
What could be the impact upon future OS upgrades?

Thank you.

<Edited by Moderator>

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 9:39 PM

5 replies

Feb 13, 2009 4:47 AM in response to wisniak

well your best bet would be to get a different phone... cause one you open the phone to take out the camera which is attached to the motherboard and will probably cause issues once you remove it and you will be SOL since you just voided the warranty your best bet would be to A) just get another phone or B) get the iPhone but also get a cheap non-camera phone to use while at work and just swap your sim card.

Feb 13, 2009 5:12 AM in response to wisniak

Is this a personal or business phone?

I wouldn't get an iPhone if it's for business and they want to remove the camera. Physical modification will void the warranty.

There's few phones without a camera these days.

The only way of doing it I thought of was to paint the lens black, but again, bye bye warranty!

Would they be happy if you put it in a protective case with no camera hole?

Feb 13, 2009 5:50 AM in response to wisniak

I'm sorry that all the answers you got did NOT address the question.

Assuming you are NOT worried about voiding the warranty, the camera can be removed. If you search the web on "iphone camera removal" you can find links on how to do this yourself, or services that will do this for you.

They should be able to answer questions regarding software upgrades, but in my experience you should be fine. I would expect the OS to probe for the camera and if not their to carry on without it. Phone modules do go bad, so having the entire OS fail when a simple IF condition will cover the issue, seems unlikely.

Good luck.

Here are a couple links i found (what you want to do is not unusual).

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=63272&cat=12
http://www.iresq.com/iphone/detail.php?prodID=P011036

Potential impact of iPhone 3G camera removal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.