Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yet another person unable to burn with a Matshita drive

I've been unable to burn disks with my Matshita drive on my iMac for some time. From reading these forums, I'm clearly not alone.

I probably could have bought an external DVD writer with all the money I've wasted on DVDs I've had to throw away.

I really think some sort of drive replacement programme is in order. I'm blaming Matshita, rather than Apple, for manufacturing a product that doesn't appear to be fit for purpose.

I'm just posting this, so there's an awareness of yet another person with this problem, it appears the only fix is to buy another drive. I'm out of warranty, and even if I wasn't, what's the point of getting it replaced with the same model?

iMac 24" Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 13, 2009 4:48 PM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2009 9:57 AM in response to Rob S UK

I had some problems with my Matshita DVD-R UJ-85J drive this week. No problem at all until abruptly it wouldn't eject a disk. I finally got it to eject that disk, but still had problems off and on with ejecting. After reading these forums I got quite unsettled seeing all the problems.

Also noticed in Apple System Profiler that my drive was listed as Matshida (sp) and UJ-8%J; and under burning support it was listed as generic rather than Apple-shipped.

Just spoke with Apple support - and my problem is fixed.

- shut down iMac
- unplugged everything
- pressed power once, briefly (reset SMC)
- plug in power, keyboard, mouse
- restart holding Cmd-Opt-P-R until second startup chime (reset PRAM)

Apple system profiler lists things correctly now. CD inserted and ejected fine.

Good luck to those of you still having issues. Hope this helps someone.

Helen

Yet another person unable to burn with a Matshita drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.