Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD screen fine - but on a set top DVD player - picture Skewed?

So I have been given a project by my boss - and it is quite ambitious!

I had 4 10Gb bits of film to fit onto a DL DVD....

I have made the project in iDVD 6 and it functions and looks great...in iDVD....

However when burned 2 main issues.

1. on the TV the picture is angled and towards the right side of the TV. In FCP I edited the video and it looks correctly positioned. Then in the iDVD project - again - the video and screens look correct. When I play the burned DVD on a Mac - the picture looks correct. I have changed the TV view settings but its the same problem...still angled...I am not currently able to test on another set-top DVD player...

2. On the set-top player - the audio I made for the menu intermittantly glitches. This makes the DVD seem unprofessional. Particularly when you switch menu..

This DVD is meant to be going to be replicated ASAP and used as promotion - however Im concerned at the current quality issues!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Steve

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 5:30 AM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2009 11:20 AM in response to SWAN909808

1) Can't help you. Definitely needs tried out on other players.

2) iDVD is not a professional authoring app, it's a consumer authoring app. In other words, use as a promotional piece at your own risk! I can tell you that iDVD uses uncompressed audio. Uncompressed audio takes up more bandwidth and can be a potential source of problems.

However, might I ask what media you burned to? You want to use a high quality blank media. Verbatim is usually highly recommended. You want to burn at a "slower" speed. And finally, please tell me you didn't put a paper label on the disc?!

Mike

Feb 16, 2009 8:27 AM in response to Mike Bisom1

Hi Mike - thanks for the response!

1) I have isolated this problem to a ****** DVD box I was testing on - so its not the DVDs fault..

2) yes I have learnt my lesson with iDVD! However its too late to try to move this to DVDSP...I was wondering - do you think it might help if I used an MP3 file for the audio in the menus in iDVD? I had been using an .aif.....Or do you think its likely iDVD will change that anyways in the encoding process...?

Finally - do you think it may be better to save the project as a disc image then burn in Toast? I would do that but iDVD gives me the fear with an error message saying something along the lines of 'better use iDVD as there can be errors when burning DL DVDs from disc images...'
Not sure why it tells you that...

Feb 16, 2009 9:56 AM in response to SWAN909808

No sense in using an MP3 file, iDVD will convert it to a PCM (lossless) file. The issue with DL discs is setting the break point- the point at which information switches layers. My guess would be that Toast may not set a proper point. However, if creating a disk image I don't know what the issue would be since the break point should be in the disk image. Can't really help you much there as I try to avoid DL burning. I would rather have two SL discs than 1 DL- just less to go wrong!

iDVD screen fine - but on a set top DVD player - picture Skewed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.