Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Misbehaving Attachments in Mail

When I attach a document in Mail (usually a PDF) it sometimes shows up as a icon with a PDF symbol and other times it actually opens up the document in the mail message (this also happens with JPEGs).

This drives me crazy because I apparently have no control as to how it is going to act. Sometimes when I am attaching several documents some will show as Icons and others will open themselves in the message with no rhyme or reason. I have tried several methods of attaching; drag and drop, via the attachment option at the top of the message, dragging and dropping several at once (some open up and some do not).

In the end I do not want ANYTHING I attach to show up as anything but an Icon, no open pictures, no open documents.This is not a new problem it has been happening over all editions of OSX, Panther, Tiger, Leopard.

What am I doing wrong, or must I abandon Mail and get something like Eudora?

MacBook Pro 2.16, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2 250 GB LaCie external in RAID 1 (mirrored) configuration

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 8:59 AM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2009 8:06 PM in response to JohnFreitag

In general, Mail will display a PDF as a preview if it is one page, or as an icon if it is more than one page. This has absolutely no effect on how the attachment is sent, or on how it is displayed in the recipient's email program. The attachment is not really "opened" in the sense that it would be if you double-clicked on the icon in the Finder. It is simply displayed as a preview. It acts like a giant icon. If you want to see a normal icon, Control-Click/Right-Click on the preview and select "View as Icon". Again, this has no effect on what the recipient sees. That is under the control of his software, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Misbehaving Attachments in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.