Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remount a 'lost' external hard-drive?

Apologies if the answer to this problem is straightforward - it's just that I've not experienced it before. I've just checked 'Software Update' on my G5 iMac and downloaded the latest security update not realising that a Lacie 500 Gb external hard-drive was connected via firewire and switched on.

When I restarted the iMac, the external hard-drive wouldn't mount. I've tried shutting everything down and powering up and it still won't mount. I've tried searching for files I know are contained on the drive, but am unable to find anything. So I tried attaching it to my Intel MacBook but it won't mount here either. My portable Lacie drive (also a firewire connection) mounts fine on both iMac and MacBook, so I know it's nothing to do with the security update I'd downloaded.

Have I damaged my 500 Gb by accidentally having it connected and turned on while downloading this security update then restarting? Or is it just confused and there's a simple way of getting it to remount? The drive contains my iTunes library, several Logic projects and a back-up photo library - I don't want to lose it! Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

G5 iMac, Intel MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 2:31 PM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2009 2:48 PM in response to Neil Myners

Welcome to Discussions - it is always advisable to remove peripherals when updating, what happened was that when you rebooted, the external was shut down hard and the data on it corrupted. That said, try mounting it several times, it might just work, if you can get it at least to mount, use Disk Warrior to repair it.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2009 2:48 PM in response to Duane

Thanks both Miriam and Duane for your replies, but I've found out something that has put everything right. I don't quite understand it but thought I'd post it as a reply to my own question just in case anyone who has suffered something similar looks at this thread for some help.

When I explained the problem to a friend on mine, he suggested turning off all power from the mains supply for the computer and external drives and unplugging from the socket for at least a minute. Then unplug all USB and firewire peripherals attached to the Mac and turn the computer back on. When it has completely powered up, re-attach your external drives and turn on. Hey presto! They returned. Hope this might help as an option if anyone looks at this thread.

Apr 5, 2009 4:28 AM in response to MGW

hi
I am facing a similar problem and I have tried the things suggested in the above discussion. but, alas, I still cannot see the external hard drive in disk utility, nor access the files located there.
it all started with (but may not be related to) the recent upgrade to itunes, and having to remove it and install the previous version.

thank you in advance
Tristan

How do I remount a 'lost' external hard-drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.