Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme does not work with USB Printer

I have an HP LaserJet P1005 connected via USB to Airport Extreme. Airport connected via Ethernet to Dell running Vista. I also have Macbook.
Macbook prints wirelessly via Airport, no problems.
I have spent several hours on the phone with Apple, Dell and HP, and Googling, trying to figure out how to get the Vista machine to print via the Airport. HP told me the Laserjet is incompatible for wireless USB printing, but I thought that via Ethernet it should work.

My conclusion is that it is simply incompatible and the only way to get it to print is to bypass the Airport completely.
Has anyone had any success getting this to work? I am writing as a last resort and would really appreciate any help.

Dell XPS, Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 8:12 AM

5 replies

Feb 17, 2009 8:32 AM in response to pcdworkman

If I read your description correctly the problem is that Vista can't print via the services provided by the AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS).

The printer is working just fine with the AEBS as proven by the MacBook's ability to print to the printer while the printer is connected via USB to the AEBS.

Therefore the problem is that Vista is unable to print via the Bonjour services provided by the AEBS. It isn't a printer compatibility issue.

Apr 21, 2009 7:05 AM in response to 06graphite

i have a similar case, but i used the airport express. Im using vista business 32 bit and i tried printing to my hp deskjet 3200 series printer and my deskjet f4185 printer connected (separately) to the base station. All went well until the paper reached halfway, and then the printer stopped responding and the power light started to blink endlessly. When the printers are directly connected to the pc though, it works fine.

Airport Extreme does not work with USB Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.