Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic artwork download?

Can anyone explain exactly how this works?? More precisely why doesnt it work very well?
I know if you download stuff off of iTunes then you get the artwork as well - but if you put your own music in, how come the search for artwork function turns out so few results? Especially considering most of the stuff is on iTunes anyway?
I have 500-600? albums on my iPod, 98% of which were ripped from cds and I'd say that i Tunes has automatically downloaded artwork for less than 20 of these albums......
any input....??

VAIO, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 6:38 PM

6 replies

Feb 20, 2009 4:52 PM in response to richiejazz

Check out the following link:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=175939

The top thread has a good explaination of how the graphics are stored, which may be the root problem.

Otherwise, maybe the issue is that when you try to get artwork automatically you haven't connected to the apple store yet (this appeared to make a difference for me, nothing downloaded until I connected to the iTunes store first).

Hope this helps 😉

Feb 20, 2009 5:08 PM in response to richiejazz

That's a really good link that Tripity posted.

One thing that article does not address - your tags (meaning Name/Artist/Album as shown in your itunes library source list) have to EXACTLY match what the iTS has in its database.

So make sure you have everything entered corrected from all the CDs you ripped.

Also, iTS is not infallible - they had Led Zeppelin listed under +Lead Zeppelin+ for several months on a few albums and it didn't fetch artwork properly for them.

Feb 22, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Katrina S.

Sorry I should have been more specific with my problem. Basically I never use my iTunes library - I have hundreds of albums on my computer which i just manually drag and drop into my ipod so i dont have to sync everything which I think is pointless and dangerous for losing stuff.
It would seem that the automatic artwork download doesnt work straight from the ipod and only responds via importing into the library. Howevermy thousands of albums are already on my ipod so is there any way I can copy the contents of my ipod back onto my itunes library to get the artwork and then (sync?) back again onto the ipod???

Feb 23, 2009 11:54 PM in response to richiejazz

+It would seem that the automatic artwork download doesnt work straight from the ipod and only responds via importing into the library.+

Exactly. If itunes doesn't have the artwork in it's library, or if artwork isn't in the tracks'ID3 tags,it won't go to the ipod.

+is there any way I can copy the contents of my ipod back onto my itunes library to get the artwork and then (sync?) back again onto the ipod???+
Well, isn't your music already in your iTunes library? Not sure I understand you. Add artwork to the tracks on your PC, and set your iPod options to display artwork, and drag them back over to your iPod.

Automatic artwork download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.