Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't empty trash - item is "in use"...

i exported some pics from iphoto onto my desktop the other day to upload into facebook.
when i finished with them i put them into the trash. I like to empty my trash often & tried emptying my trash soon after & couldnt because they were still "in use".
I can assure you they are not in use & have shut every app down, still with no luck...
any ideas?
Oh i forgot to mention that 1/2 of the pictures were able to delete & the other 1/2 are "in use"

24" 2.8 iMac, BlackBook 2.16, G4 12" Powerbook, PowerMac G4 466, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2GB/320G HD+640GB FW800+200external, 2GB/250G HD,1.25GB/120GB HD, 768MB/30G

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 12:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 12:13 AM

Hello,

Go here for help: Resolving Trash Problems

And here: You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash in Mac OS X

Carolyn 🙂
5 replies

Feb 19, 2009 3:06 AM in response to DJstylus

Both links are OK for me but the simplest method may be to follow this from the first link which I have modified from 'type' to 'copy/paste':

Force the Trash to empty using Terminal

Perform the following steps in the order specified:

1 - Launch Terminal, located in Finder/Go/Utilities.

2 - At the Terminal prompt, copy/paste the following command.

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

3 - Press Return.

4 - Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return. Files in the Trash should now have been deleted.

Can't empty trash - item is "in use"...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.