Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac to TV wirelessly

I have the equipment noted below, plus an airport extreme. My local network works just fine. I want to broadcast materials such as a nextflix movies wirelessly to my TV along with internet content such as ABC.com, and do away with my overly commercialized, hundred channels of disinterest cable TV. What hardware and/or software do I need? I understand Apple TV is only good for itunes content.

iMac5,1 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:03 PM

8 replies

Feb 19, 2009 2:04 PM in response to SADON

I want to broadcast materials such as a nextflix movies wirelessly to my TV

Are you talking about playing NetFlix DVD movies on a TV from an iMac that is NOT attached directly to the TV? You can't do that. The only way you can watch a DVD on the TV (from an iMac) is if the iMac connects directly to the TV as a second display.

I understand Apple TV is only good for itunes content.

Not quite true. You can watch content on YouTube and some other Internet sites. There is also a hack (not sanctioned by Apple) to make additional content accessible.

The best option, if you don't want to connect your iMac directly to the TV, may be a Mac mini. The TV would need to be an HDTV (with at least HDMI input), and it would act as the Mac mini's display. You can play iTunes content directly. You can insert a DVD movie and use DVD Player. Front Row (with the handy Apple Remote) can also be used to play DVD movies and iTunes content. You can access ABC.com, Hulu, or any other web site using Safari (or any browser) and play the content, as you would with any computer.

For this purpose, any Intel -based Mac mini should be fine (except for the original 1.5 GHz single core model), so it does not have to be the current "new" model. However, Apple may release an updated model at some point, since the current model has been around for more than 18 months.

Feb 19, 2009 2:16 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

In other words, there is no hardware that will enable streaming content from my iMac and display it on my TV, other than another computer using, say Safari. I;ll check my old mini -- it is an intel I'm sure. Since I can now wirelessly share all kinds of data with other imacs in the house, this seems unreasonable. What about a slingbox, or even, at great expense, an appletv?
I just want to eliminate cable TV, but still be able to get various internet programs.

Feb 19, 2009 2:29 PM in response to SADON

If you already have a Mac mini, that would be ideal. You can stream iTunes content from within iTunes by using the +library sharing+ feature. You can also turn ON file sharing (on the iMac) and mount the iMac's volume on the Mac mini to access the files directly.

You'll need a DVI to HDMI adapter (or a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other end). Also, because DVI does not carry audio, you'll need to run a separate audio cable from the Mac mini's audio output to the HDTV's audio input.

I don't know too much about SlingBox. An Apple TV does what it is designed to do well (turn your HDTV into a huge iPod for the living room), but it is not as flexible as a Mac mini. Even if your Mac mini turns out to be the older G4 Mac mini (or the Intel Core Solo model), it would work reasonably well for this purpose; it may have some problems with playing HD content smoothly.

Feb 20, 2009 4:32 AM in response to SADON

A slingbox will do what you want and I think there are other alternatives out there. The Slingbox is not cheap but it is cheaper than a minimac or apple tv.

I too am investigating what you describe - the slingbox appears to stream whatever your PC/MAC can display... it sounds perfect but I am still looking....

Feb 20, 2009 9:05 PM in response to SADON

SADON wrote:
In other words, there is no hardware that will enable streaming content from my iMac and display it on my TV, other than another computer using, say Safari. I;ll check my old mini -- it is an intel I'm sure. Since I can now wirelessly share all kinds of data with other imacs in the house, this seems unreasonable. What about a slingbox, or even, at great expense, an appletv?
I just want to eliminate cable TV, but still be able to get various internet programs.

*"In other words, there is no hardware that will enable streaming content from my iMac and display it on my TV?"*

Yes there are quite a number of options actually. I stream everything from my Macbook Pro ( mostly an attached external Lacie Rugged TB HDD) to my PS3 and XBOX 360 - works great on both - via a program called "Orb" http://www.orb.com/

It supports most all media formats (of course it does not like Apples MP4's but that is easy enough to get around with any conversion sware) and they even let you log in via web portal and stream all of your media to anywhere you are/online if you so choose the option. What's so shocking is that it's free and it actually works really well. I even get stuff on my iPhone - of course there is an app for it! * end of shameless promotion * Only kidding.... ; )

Do you have Blue Ray player Sadon? Does the thought interest you? If it does and you have the spare coinage one suggestion I offer with personal experience is to buy a PS3. The BlueRay Drive itself in it is worth the price alone. It's still one of the finest available - and that is coming from an ex Blue Ray cynic (no I wasn't burned by HD DVD, I just didn't believe in either format until I got my PS3). It's our media hub connected to our 46" Samsung 1080p 120MHz LCD and surround sound setup. Once you load Orb on it (via web browser) it will stream right from your Mac wirelessly to your tv/stereo. Just another thought outside the apple box.

From what I've seen Slingbox streams whats on your tv or your digital tv tuner box from tivo, cable company set top box etc. Sling Box will not and in it's current state can not stream stuff from your computer to your tv.

Another method would be to save some money and skip all the hassle and just plug your mac into your TV and blow everyone away with Front Row! 😉

For the record I am in fact adding the latest Apple TV into our above mentioned mix next time I find myself at our local general e goods establishment. We are then also kissing the money stealing mind numbing cesspool that is cable tv goodbye for good! The high quality on demand future has arrived!

~ This is the part where I tell you I have a bunch of apple stuff like iphones and ipods and a MBP and a G4 Quicksilver and Airports and oh how I would love a nice new quad core iMac anyday now...hopefully...this Tuesday...Apple? ~

"Freedom of Speech Just Watch What You Say"

imac to TV wirelessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.