Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Battery Life New 17" Model

My first post was censored as inappropriate according to the forum moderators. It was short and brief. I did not see anything wrong with it so let me try again.

I'm considering upgrading to a Macbook Pro 17 inch. I own a Macbook Air and I've had several Macbook Pro 15" models as well as a Powerbook 12.1" model. I still have and use one of the 15" models. I've had good and bad battery life, but never quite able to reach the advertised battery life that Apple claims. I'm hoping this has been resolved with the new battery in the Macbook Pro 17" - early 2009 model. So if you have any real world experience you care to share with me about it I'd appreciate it. I don't see any reason to upgrade if the battery life isn't better.

Hopefully this post is better suited to Apples requirements for posting. If not then I'll approach this using my blog or on the Consumerist.

iMac Extreme, Mini 2.0ghz, MBPro Early 2008, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 8:44 AM

13 replies

Apr 24, 2009 10:45 AM in response to jeffbrooks

When you say editing, what do you mean? Editing video? Note that the long, or near max usage times typically involve a dim screen, dim or no keyboard lighting, and very light use. Anything that keeps the cpu working solidly, and keeps the hard drive or DVD drive spun up will drastically reduce battery life. Less so will be screen brightness and keyboard lighting.

As an example, with my 15.4" (2.53GHz machine, when sitting in a meeting with an airport connection, screen brightness only 3-4 bars bright, keyboard lighting on the lowest setting and with just a browser open and maybe email and TextWrangler for notes, I can comfortably get 4.5-5+ hours out of my battery. If I start running analyses in R or MatLab though, pushing the cpu to full load and keeping the HD spun up, and that drops to less then 2 hours pretty easily.

Apr 24, 2009 2:14 PM in response to Michael Black

editing for me is two 7200 sata drives running on phantom power... i don't expect 8 hours... what i expect or at least hoped for was 6 hours just doing standard office work... i haven't even cracked 3 hours... it's a brand new 17 inch macbook with the mythical 8 hour battery... even allowing for marketing i figured on 6.... twenty five percent less than claimed... open to any suggestions on how to improve things

Apr 24, 2009 2:51 PM in response to jeffbrooks

Jeff: You'll never get 8, nor probably even 5, hours if you're using the "Higher performance" setting in the Energy Saver preference pane. That setting selects the faster, much more energy-consumptive 9600M GT GPU — probably what you want for video editing. The "up to 8 hours" battery rating (take note of the words "up to") assumes you are using the "Better battery life" setting in Energy Saver and doing word processing, email or light web browsing (not streaming video or highly multimedia-intensive sites) via wifi, with Bluetooth off, your display at half brightness or less, your keyboard backlight at minimal brightness or turned off, no applications or nonessential processes (including third-party extensions and plug-ins) running in the background, no CPU-hogging Dashboard widgets turned on, Spotlight indexing complete (so not taking place any longer), and no peripheral devices connected (many peripherals cause the machine to use energy keeping in touch with them, even if they are externally powered). If you can't get at least 5-6 hours of *actual, measured* run time under these conditions, contact AppleCare.

Do not pay any attention to the estimated run-time remaining that you see displayed in the menu bar. It is only a projection based on how you've been using the machine recently, not a definitive reading or a promise. It can be very inaccurate, either high or low. The only figure to pay attention to is the actual, measured working time the battery gives you.

What is "phantom power," please? I've never seen the term before.

Message was edited by: eww

Apr 24, 2009 8:07 PM in response to jeffbrooks

...under a load test the 8 hour battery lasted a whopping 90 minutes...

I'm not surprised to hear that, but I don't understand why it was decided to test the battery life by loading the processors heavily. That's like testing the EPA gas mileage rating for a passenger car by measuring its actual gas mileage while towing a large boat on a heavy trailer over the Rocky Mountains. But I'm glad to hear they're going to give you a new battery, even though it isn't clear yet that the one you have isn't working properly. I hope you fare better with the second one.

And again, what is "phantom power"?

Message was edited by: eww

Macbook Pro Battery Life New 17" Model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.