Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 RPM Not Working

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but worth a shot.

I just purchased a WD 320 GB 7200 RPM Scorpio Black. It will not work in my brand new macbook. The original apple hard drive works fine, I have a USB->SATA adapter, hooked it up, was able to clone the old hard drive onto the WD drive. It boots up perfectly fine when I boot via USB using the adapter.

When it is installed, however, the hard drive keeps spinning up and down and up and down...to the point where it takes 25 minutes just to boot. I disabled the sudden motion sensor via pmset, reformatted the drive, reinstalled Leopard, had the drive replaced via RMA, used the drive jumpers to limit spinnup voltage, all to no avail.

Still the same situation. Drive works perfectly fine via USB on this computer and others, but will not work when connected to SATA on this macbook.

My theory is that it may draw too much power, being a 7200 RPM drive and is being constantly disabled do to overcurrent then enabled again, causing the spin up/down. Maybe this is why you cannot order one of these from apple with a 7200 RPM drive? In any event, I give up. WD can't think of anything and I am stumped. If anyone has any thoughts, let me know before I return the drive, otherwise, it's going back and I am getting a 5400 RPM drive. If you are considering buying one for your macbook, beware.

Aluminum Macbook 2.0 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 2:03 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2009 1:36 PM in response to WestonS

Here are some important updates:

Got a new WD Scorpio 5400 320 gB SATA II drive! YAY! Ohhh wait....this one is having the exact same issue: won't work connected internally, will work connected externally. I did some more poking around and this is what I found:

I also get I/O errors after booting from a linux live CD, so it must not be software related, it has to be a compatibility problem with the SATA controller and the WD hard drives. I have tried 3 WD hard drives, which all work on other computers and on this brand new macbook when connected externally. Only when connected internally. Original Mac Hitachi drive works fine.

I called apple support and was informed, to my dismay, that "we do not guarantee non-apple hard drives will work with your macbook. The macbook may not be compatible with this drive." YAY! So the RAM incompatibility issue is happening all over again, only with hard drives now! I have not ever known another computer in all my work as a tech support provider that is only compatible with specific makes/models of SATA II drives.

I am very disappointed, and honestly baffled. Once I make enough money to pay the restocking fee on all these WDs, I might try another brand. Someone else has to be having this issue?

WD Scorpio Black 320 GB 7200 RPM Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.