Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd Startup problem, small graphic file always starts

Recently my macbook started having an interesting start up problem. Every time I boot fresh it opens a small file in Preview titled wht_tab4.gif. I can't find this file as it is hidden. I can simply close the file each time, but it is certainly odd. Any idea how to stop this behavior?

MacBook C2D White 1 GB, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 4:51 PM

3 replies

Feb 20, 2009 5:12 PM in response to dndrich

Hi,

First get EasyFind...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/8707

You can find, move, delete hidden files.

Then Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go.

Trash this file...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist

Move or trash that gif file with easyfind if you wish.

Check that Preview isn't in System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window.

Reboot.

Feb 20, 2009 5:58 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, nice reply. What I did first was look in the login items. Great suggestion. For some reason that file was listed to login. Using easyfind I found the graphic file to be in the help index of the xerox printer files in the system library. Very odd that this ended up in the login items. I deleted the login item, ran Yasu to clean things up a bit, and all is well. I didn't have to delete the Preview plist file.

Odd Startup problem, small graphic file always starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.