Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access Volumes (no permission)

I upgraded my Mac to Leopard, ran all updates, repaired permissions and rebooted and I have no access to volumes other than the System drive.

I have two internal drives, both are partitioned to two volumes; on Drive 1 I have a System partition and a Data partition. I can access the System partition no problem, but the Data partition and the two partitions on the other drive have a lock symbol on them.

If I try to select them I am told I have no access privileges. If I try to change the permissions by going Info -> Sharing & Permissions, I can not change the permissions, I am told again I have no access privileges. The very confusing thing is when I log in as Root, I get the same errors.

G4 PPC MDD 1.25 Ghz + G5 PPC 1.8 Ghz 2 Ghz RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 17" 2.16 Ghz MBP 1 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 12:06 PM

See Niel's guide at
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2087835
10 replies

Feb 21, 2009 3:41 PM in response to baltwo

Uh oh... Niel's guide did not work. I tired Scenario 3, which applies to me and received this error in Terminal:

chmod 775 "/Volumes/Video/"
chmod: /Volumes/Video/: Operation not permitted

I then tried scenario number 2 and get this error:

sudo chown root "/Volumes/Video/"
chown: /Volumes/Video/: Operation not permitted

Feb 21, 2009 4:29 PM in response to TGH

I found a solution that worked.

In Terminal type the following sequence (obviously replace "Volumename with the name of your volume):

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename

May 18, 2009 4:36 AM in response to TGH

Hi,
I recently changed the sharing permissions on my two intel iMacs both using Leopard 10.5.7.
After restarting them, I noticed they both were remaining on their gray startup screens.
I felt there was no other recourse than to archive and reinstall their operating systems.
Since then, I have not been able to open my external HD from either iMac.
I tried "get info" on it and noticed I have "custom access" and cannot change a thing.

I have tried the Terminal commands:
cd /Volumes
and
ls -go

and the outcome for my external drive is: drw-rw-r--+ 44 1564 30 Mar 11:26 iMac G5 17" (notice that it finishes with " which may be a problem?)

I am hoping you can help as I really do not want to re-format my HD which contains valuable information,

nicebeatz183

Jul 15, 2009 3:05 PM in response to TGH

Hi,
i have a similar problem, my la cie hard drive is locked and wont let me change the permissions and wont let me change the ownership - it says that the permissions are 'custom' - so i am trying to unlock using terminal window however my hard drive has the title 'Kris 200Gb - MUSIC & PHOTOS', so i am unclear as to what i should type into the terminal window, any help would be fantastic. I desperately need access to this hard drive.

thank you

Kris

Cannot access Volumes (no permission)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.