Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving SMS #s on AIM for iChat?

Hi,

I find using AIM with iChat as the best way to SMS my girlfriend back in the states. I am currently deployed with the US military so it's a very important aspect of our communication. I am just wondering if there's a way to store her mobile number into her AIM account or as another contact, because I have to type it in every time. It's not that big of deal and in this fast paced "give me now" world, it's nice to know that I have all her numbers memorized rather than stored, but if there's a way to have the number in her contact information so I can just double click her account or some other ID on the AIM iChat list that would be really convenient! Thanks for any assistance.

Respectfully,
Tomes

PowerBookG4 15'', Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 11:56 PM

3 replies

Feb 22, 2009 4:58 AM in response to Tomio Toyama

Hi,

I have looked in IChat Help.

It says

Sending an SMS text message
You can use iChat to send an SMS (short message service) text message to a buddy’s iPhone or other mobile phone from an AIM or MobileMe account.

NOTE: SMS messaging is available in the U.S. only.

To send an SMS text message:

Choose File > Send SMS.

From the pop-up menu, choose the AIM or MobileMe account from which you want to send the text message.

You can’t send SMS text messages from Bonjour, Jabber, or Google Talk accounts.

Type your buddy’s phone number, and click OK.

In the chat window, type a message and press Return.

If your buddy’s phone is set up to receive text messages, you’ll see an automatic reply telling you that the message has been sent. The buddy can reply and send text to you, which appears in the chat window.

To receive text messages, your buddy’s phone must be SMS enabled.

I must admit I was under the impression you could save a Buddy as the phone number with a leading + sign

EDIT
There is also this
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/treesmsaddressbookplugin.html

User uploaded file

12:51 PM Sunday; February 22, 2009

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Feb 22, 2009 7:07 AM in response to Tomio Toyama

Hi Tomio,
You can add a phone number for IM just like you add a Buddy. But as Ralph suggested, you add +1 before the area code. It is only for use within the U.S. and you cannot use it for anyone outside the U.S. I have often visited Ireland, but do not remember if I used the IM in iChat from there back to my family in the U.S. (to their phones, I mean). But at least you can add your GF's number to your Buddy list and experiment. Because you are on a U.S. base - different rules might apply and you might be able to IM with the U.S. Let us know if it works.
Geraldine

Feb 22, 2009 8:44 AM in response to Geraldine Dwyer1

Here is the oldest thread I could find that mentions the +1 bit

Couple of other things.

1) as Mentioned it can only be done to US phones.

2) Your computer has to be set in System Preferences > International as if it is also in the United States.
It is something to do with the Country setting or the keyboard choice you can show in the Menu bar (I can not remember precisely)

If you bought your computer in the United States and set it up there you probably do not have to change anything when travelling.

User uploaded file

10:42 AM Sunday; February 22, 2009

Saving SMS #s on AIM for iChat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.