9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 8:07 PM by Lukeintosh
Lukeintosh Level 1 (15 points)
Hi there.
My MacBook Pro Loves to pull fits on the Network.
What it dose is when i open the lid on my laptop it disconnects the internet. So the ADSL Light Turns off on the router.
Whats wrong with it?

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • William Kucharski Level 6 (14,985 points)
    Nothing your Mac can do should ever affect your router, so it instead sounds like a bug in your ADSL router's firmware.

Do you know if the manufacturer has any updates available for it?
  • Tim Haigh Level 7 (24,185 points)
    Hi post the router make and model number and I try to help.

Tim
  • Lukeintosh Level 1 (15 points)
    Dlink DSL-502T
    When downloading Torrents on other computers it dose not effect it in any way.
    ANy one can help?
    its realy annoying.
    I haven't had my computer on the network for over 6 months and no one has had to disconnected it
    some routers don't have very powerful CPU's and can be overloaded with multiple connections. This is especially true when using bittorrent. This can be fixed by setting your torrent client to connect to maximum number of peers of say 100 overall.
    Oh ok.
    What what about IRC?
    It Disconnects the internet when i try to connect to IRC.
    I have spoken to my ISP who says its nothing on their end. When it disconnects it shows nothing.
    So is it to do with my Mac?
    Other people on the network have no issues with bit torrent

thanks for your replys
  • William Kucharski Level 6 (14,985 points)
    If your DSL is disconnecting when you run various applications, the blame is with your DSL router.
    Other people on the network have no issues with bit torrent

Yes but they may be using all the routers resources.

If you have multiple devices on the network the router may just be crashing. I have seen this before with thompson routers. I have seen Thompson 780wl crash with more than 3 devices connected to it. When used with 1 device it was fine.

Dlink in my experience are buggy at the best of times. I would suggest you flash your router with the latest firmware you can download from dlink.

I would suggest as william indicated replacing your router with a more efficient one.
    Hey there. Sorry for long time no reply.
    But i change the router and it works fine apart from the fact that my mac always disconnects its self now.
    thanks LUke