Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this application "Executor"?

My sister who has Leopard on a MacBook keeps getting this message straight after startup:

You can't open the application "Executor" because it requires a version of Java that is not available.

Then there are 2 choices - use 1.5 or Quit. Both buttons lead to the box reappearing, sometimes after several attempts the box goes away. Can't find any info on this and is annoying me as I'm trying to fix for her.

Thanks,

Matt

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 3:42 AM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2009 3:51 AM in response to Matthew Addyman

A quick Google search shows that it is part of Prosoft's Data Backup. Your friend must have that installed. Executor is apparently located in Library/Startup Items/. I don't know how its removal might affect Data Backup, but it doesn't sound like it's working ideally at the moment.

One suggestion: check software update (under Apple menu) and see if there's a newer version of Java available.

Feb 24, 2009 5:14 AM in response to Matthew Addyman

Try getting a copy of EasyFind. The problem with Spotlight is that it doesn't search everywhere. Use EasyFind to search the entire hard drive.

Also, your friend should probably contact Prosoft about the problem. Backup software needs to be working right, and if they can't/won't help her get it working properly, it's time to transition to a different backup solution.

Feb 25, 2009 3:20 AM in response to Matthew Addyman

Maybe she installed it at some point and then removed it? I dunno, but everything I've found about it says it's part of Prosoft Data Backup. So, yes, if she is not currently using that software, then it would be just fine to delete it. (I just checked my own system with EasyFind, and other than a few Safari cache files from this discussion, I found nothing matching "executor".)

What is this application "Executor"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.