Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to fix Safari 3.2.1 Problems with OnyX

Based upon several forum comments about benefits of using OnyX, I tried to use this application to correct Safari problems. Specifically, Safari crashes often; it stalls while opening additional tabs; it indicates slow scripts in process; and, generally it forgets to save userids and passwords despite preference settings. Our Hawaiian contributor suggests using OnyX for problems like these, so I tried it. These challenges exist: with automation selected and *only one block checked* [maintenance: maintenance scripts], the application stalls out. I've waited as long as 20 minutes with no movement in the progress bar beyond the first third of it or so. Please advise how to set and use OnyX for Mac OS 10.4.11 if that's the problem. If not, please suggest means to correct the Safari problems. Thanks.

iMac G4 15in flat screen, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iPhoto 4.0.3, Safari 3.2.1, iChat 3.1.9

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 8:39 AM

14 replies

Feb 25, 2009 7:54 AM in response to Bronco 01

Hello; I've followed some of the same threads in trying to find cures for my own Safari problems. As part of that I've just run Onyx OK today so not exactly sure why yours hangs. Maybe you've already covered the following, but here are some suggestions that have helped me for what they might be worth:
First, with Disk Utilities:
• Run 'Repair disk'
• Run 'Repair Permissions'
Then, try AppleJack, if you haven't yet. It was recommended to me here and I liked it. It runs via single user mode which I was not too comfortable with, but I like what it did for two of my machines. You can run it in basic 'Auto' mode and just let it do its stuff. I then restart a couple of times afterwards to let the machine 'settle' back in. This will go after caches, preferences, etc. This is just in case that the Onyx shell is causing you some problems rather than the actual built-in maintenance tasks in OSX. There are much smarter people here who can say if Applejack and Onyx accomplish all the same things or not, but there is certainly a large degree of overlap.
Then...
• Run 'Repair Permissions' via Disk Utility again.
• See how Safari fares...

I personally use Cocktail for periodic maintenance, rather than Onyx. Small cost but it has always felt rock steady to me whereas Onyx has felt a bit too rough around the edges for the obvious power it has.
But my experience with Onyx:
• Make sure you have the latest version. Turned out I didn't. It is 1.8.5.
• Let it check SMART status and verify disk on startup.
• I just let it run the default setup under Automation, which included Clearing Cache, Cleaning, etc.
My result: I found it to be a bit 'buggy' in how it interacted with Finder, etc. as it ran, – hard to find or 'grab' the activity window at various points – and it seemed to hang but actually had another small window lurking asking for password (for 2nd or 3rd time). Did that and it finished. Now I have some generic file icons that were not there before and a few wrong file associations, but things seem to work OK.

That's all I can offer at the moment. I have on occasion simply tried to reinstall Safari again by tossing the existing app, pulling the support files I am aware of and running the installer. Not sure what it actually does (or not), whether it re-writes systems files, .plists, I might have missed, etc. But it seemed to help on one occasion when nothing else did.

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2009 9:41 AM in response to Roger Benson1

Roger,
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I too have become frustrated with Safari and now OnyX 1.8.5 problems. I've run all the traps with Disk utilities, including DiskWarrior, to fix permissions and the like. They all indicate my iMac is now just wonderful...but, alas, first use of Safari 4.0 Beta shows some familiar problems: I'm asked for my keychain password time and time again, especially if I open another tab. I have never downloaded or used AppleJack, and I don't really know what it is. Is it freeware? I have also reinstalled Safari 3.2.1 several times without meaningful change. But regarding OnyX, here is my experience: I allow it to verify S.M.A.R.T, whatever that does for me, and to verify my startup disk, just as asked in preliminary scripts. Then I select automation and only check two boxes: check maintenance scripts (??) and eliminate system and kernel caches (???). When I select the execute box, the "Automation in progress..." bar moves twice, but only as far as the first "s" in the word progress. So, I'm unable to benefit from whatever OnyX will do for me. I'll investigate AppleJack more and see what it might do for me, but for now I'm unable to use Safari without hangups, delays, slow scripts, etc. Sorry I've vented so much frustration.

Feb 25, 2009 10:16 AM in response to Bronco 01

FYI: While awaiting Roger's response, I downloaded and used AppleJack in auto mode. There was an entire screen's worth of entries, but I'm certain I can make any sense out of any reporting. What steps do you take to verify any problems were diagnosed and solved? Are there any tests you might take now to verify that AppleJack has succeeded?

Feb 26, 2009 1:51 AM in response to Bronco 01

Hi again;

re: <maintenance scripts (??)>
There are daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts built-in to OSX which automatically run in the middle of the night if you leave you Mac on. Onyx, Cocktail, Applejack, etc. provide easier to use front ends to run those scripts which clean logs, caches, etc.. I think Applejack can probe and clean a bit deeper than the other two, but I'm really not sure. Have only read where it will often fix things that other utilities might not. Can't say that I can make anything of any logs it creates either. Basic test is if your machine runs and feels 'well' after (Safari troubles not withstanding). The point of these are to ensure that your system is kept in good order. I may be wrong, but if you've run Applejack successfully (i.e. it ran all 5 steps and completed in good order) then you most probably don't have to run Onyx. There may be something deeper wrong.

In the Read Me file for Applejack it says:
+Corrupted preference files are moved into a directory that will mirror the original preference directory, with (Corrupt) added to the directory name. For example, corrupt preferences files found in ~/Library/Preferences will be moved to ~/Library/Preferences (Corrupt). After running AppleJack, you'll probably want to take a look at them (and most likely throw out those folders). As of version 1.4.2, AppleJack now creates a copy of the directory tree inside the (Corrupt) folder so that if any files were deeply nested inside the original preference folder, they will be placed in an identical directory hierarchy in the new (Corrupt) folder. This way, if for any reason you would want to move a preference file back, you know where it should go.+
+6. AppleJack has a primitive logging mechanism. It writes a journal of most of its activity to /var/log/AppleJack.log. AppleJack will automatically reset the log the next time you run it, if the file should ever reach a size somewhat over 500k.+

Have your checked to see if there was a (Corrupt) folder created and if so, what bad preferences might have been found?

re: SMART
Newer hard disks have this facility built-in to more or less check hard disk health on a regular basis so as to hopefully identify potential disk problems early before they become a critical issue. Again, I really don't have any idea what it actually does, but it is supposed to be a useful health check, hence useful to do.

re:Safari 4.0
Haven't touched it and as a rule don't fool around with beta's let alone any x.0 software to help keep my system working well. I have read that there is an uninstall option on the beta installer which will remove all of the beta and restore back to 3.2.1. Assume you've done that?

One more thing – Have you tried Safari in a different user account other than your own basic one? I have created a new User via System Preferences->Accounts and call it Test User. I don't alter this account at all from what is created by OSX, so it is 'clean'. When I have something going on that I can't seem to trace it, I test the same situation in the Test User to see if it is there or not. If things are normal there, then the problem is isolated to my own user account somewhere – i.e. I know better where to look. If things are also a problem there, then it is more likely a system-wide problem. That is how I've traced my own Safari problems to something somewhere in my own account. Safari worked just fine in under Test User.

If the same problems exist in a new User (pointing to a wider system problem), and using another browser like Firefox is not an acceptable option, then you may need to do a new re-install of Tiger (Archive & Install) and start with a clean stabile system again.

Hope something helps!

Feb 26, 2009 7:18 AM in response to Roger Benson1

Roger,
Your replies are very thorough and helpful. I'll have to address the challenges one at a time, however. OnyX just will not run on my iMac...period. Applejack did not produce a preference (corrupt) folder, and I think that's probably a good thing. I switched to Safari 4.0 Beta out of frustration over 3.2.1 and its intractable problems. I could go back, I'm sure, but I would be a fool to expect different results, right? I've not done anything using a Test User account, but I'll give that a try. Whereas I'll try to find the problems and seek out help through this forum, I'm reluctant to reinstall Mac OS 10.4.11 from scratch again...I did that months ago, and it took forever to get the iMac and all its applications back to where it had been before the problems of that time began. This is really frustrating, especially when you have been Macintosh's biggest advocate over the years.

Feb 26, 2009 7:42 AM in response to Bronco 01

<I'll have to address the challenges one at a time>

Absolutely. Introducing multiple variables makes it a bear to figure out what is going on.

<but I would be a fool to expect different results, right?>

Depends...
a) If Applejack did it's thing and you've done other diagnostics that point to everything being pretty OK system-wise, then it's probably safe to assume it's healthy enough to look mainly for specific Safari/system interaction problems rather than general. Something may have been 'fixed' by these tools that could give better results with 3.2.1(?)
b) I suggest doing the Test User account and just see what it delivers. If you have pretty predictable results with the beta then you can test that under the Test User to see if it is same or better. Key is finding a few clearly reproducible situations with the software such as when you a, b, c you always get result d. That way you can make a clear test between the two accounts. Myself, I'd remove the beta and go back to 3.2.1 and then use that as the test. At least with this you know it is basically an OK piece of software that is supposed to work OK, widely tested (despite various complaints). Beta software just introduces too many bugs/variables to be able to make a good diagnosis of what is the system problem vs. what is the software problem.

<I'm reluctant to reinstall Mac OS 10.4.11 from scratch again>

I completely understand that, believe me. The User test will help tell you if the problem is more likely in your User account vs. the wider system. Hopefully it is your User only which would really help narrow the search.

<This is really frustrating, especially when you have been Macintosh's biggest advocate over the years.>

Been there... All things being equal the Mac platform is excellent, period. I know from experience that if I start adding lots of bits and pieces and playing with all sorts of programmes, things can indeed still go downhill. With the advent of OSX I've become VERY cautious because to me it is much more complex to deal with than OS9 which I knew inside out. But there is a lot of good help here and in other forums to help sort things.

Let us hear how it goes. In the meantime I'm going to start my own thread with my Safari that I've failed to nail. Maybe something there also might help you.

Cheers...

Feb 26, 2009 8:41 AM in response to Roger Benson1

This responds to your principal reply and the postscript. too. I did try the test user account, and Safari 4.0 seemed to work OK, but slowly as if there is still something challenging its activity. I'll try to downgrade to the 3.2.1 and try again to see whether its speed is reasonable and to be expected. I'm uncertain how to check or eliminate Safari add-ons or plug-ins; can you suggest methodology? Thanks for bearing through this problem set.

Feb 27, 2009 1:55 AM in response to Bronco 01

Sorry for the delay... time zones, family, etc. 🙂

<...seemed to work OK, but...>

Maybe that's progress? If you find it more stabile through a few clear tests, then that starts to point to something in your User account causing the problem rather than in the main system.

Plugins:
• Under 'Help' in the Safari menu bar, choose "Installed Plug-ins". This will show you a list of those plug-ins currently active. I don't have a clear cut method for determining if they are 'OK' or not, but you can expect to see things like Java, Shockwave, Flash, Quicktime, Digital Rights Management, Adobe Reader, etc. These are all basics. If you have some from other manufacturers such as SilverLight (Microsoft), FlipforMac, etc. you could try moving them out for now. You will find them...
• Library->Internet Plugins. These are in the main system Library. and...
• User->Library->Internet Plugins. (in your user account)
I have looked for any that seem several years old which might point to either a possible conflict with newer versions of Safari or that there should be an update available from the supplier. In any case it is a good idea to ensure that all are up to date. Note that in my situation, I do not have any plugins in my User Library. They all reside in the main System Library.

Input Managers/Add-ons:
• Library->Input Managers. I haven't found any in my User account yet, only at main system level.

I'm still searching for additional files that may affect Safari, but the above is what I know for now.

Cheers...

Unable to fix Safari 3.2.1 Problems with OnyX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.