You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help using a Roland Edirol R-09 with Garageband (kinda bootleg)

Being a career musician, I'm pretty low on funds and I was trying to figure out a cheap way to record music. I used to do this on my old computer (which was a PC) and I never had any problems, and I was wondering if anyone stumbled across anything similar:

I have an Edirol R-09, which is not an A/D converter or an audio interface - its primary use is for recording and storing - i.e. it has two stereo mics built into it and an SD card inside, so I can, for example, record my band's show and later connect it to my computer and it acts as a hard drive. I simply take the files from the SD storage, put them on my computer, and do any audio effecting (EQ, levels, etc) after. However, I got this bright idea which I tried on my old computer:

I wanted to start multi-tracking while recording my own songs (i.e. record drums, then bass, guitar, etc in a program such as ProTools). On my old PC, I had Cool Edit Pro, and I simply connected an 1/8" stereo cable from the headphone jack on my Edirol into the 1/8" stereo input on my computer, and used it as a sort of bootleg A/D converter. It all worked fine, besides being slightly inconvenient. Through Cool Edit, I was simply using my Edirol as a microphone, and then I could multitrack, do bass, vocals, whatever else I needed.

However, now that I got a Mac and am using Garageband, I'm coming across an extremely irritating problem that I just can't figure out how to fix. I'm connecting everything EXACTLY the same as I used to, but now as soon as I have the cable plugged into my Edirol and power it up, the input signal is plagued with static. You can still hear whatever I record, but there's this relatively loud static underneath everything (and it's ONLY int he tracks I use the Edirol with). I've tried different settings and connections, and I only get the static when the Edirol is powered on and connected to the System Input on my Mac.

Has anyone else tried anything like this with different results? I would usually think it's a problem with my Edirol, but I tested it on my stereo, my other computer (PC), and even a guitar amp and the static only seems to appear in Garageband.

Suggestions?
Thanks in advance

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 11:09 AM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2009 11:57 PM in response to boxofgeese

I generally reserve the R-09 for live recording and dumping it into GB for mixing.

Do you have the same problem when using other programs (Logic, ProTools, Audacity, etc.)? If so, depending on youyr budget, perhaps you might want to invest in an inexpensive USB Microphone. They can easily be found for less ta $100. I have a Samson and the quality is outstanding.

Strangely enough, I have found the built in Mic on he Mac to be pretty decent as well.

Help using a Roland Edirol R-09 with Garageband (kinda bootleg)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.