2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2009 2:47 PM by Pondini
Pat Taylor Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, not sure where to pose this question.

I have a new WD mybook studio II (mac type) drive that I want to use for Time Machine. The drive arrives striped, and it is supposed to be possible to change that to mirrored but you have to use WD's "Drive Manager" app that allegedly installs with the drive from the CD. It's also supposed to be not possible to achieve this from Disk Utility.

Well the drive itself installs fine, I have the "MyBook" icon on my desktop. But there is no sign anywhere of the Drive Manager app...not in Applications, not opening if I click the aforementioned icon, not found by Spotlight nor by a manual search in Finder. Hence I can't rejig the RAID config.

So I reinstalled, same result. So I went to WD's website and downloaded the driver from there in case there was something wrong with my CD. Same result.

So I asked WD's online Support for help. They got back quickly but didn't read my question (with the details as above) properly because they just directed me back to their website to download the software again. Okay, I followed the link they provided (just in case) but it was the same and gave the same result...again.

So I've replied to them, explaining in detail again, but I suspect I could be going round in circles so can anyone on here help please? thanks.

New MacPro, Leopard 10.5.6.

MacPro 2x2.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Pat Taylor Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    edit by me...turned out that one of the drives was faulty...

checked with Disk Utility showed "minor repairs required " and having done that the WD Drive Manager loaded, so changed the RAID as required and set Time Machine going. And then came the report from Drive Manager "Drive A failed" ...and so it's going back.

I know this happens occasionally and wouldn't be a problem IF the retailer had been able to replace it quickly...but no, they have to wait for approval and so I have to wait...so obviously I'm having my money back instead and shopping elsewhere.

Whinge over...was I just unlucky, or should I look at other brands?

Message was edited by: Pat Taylor
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)
    I'm no expert on external drives, but I find it hard to believe that you cannot use Disk Utility to erase and format that drive for Time Machine. WD may be saying you can't use DU if you also want to use the software that comes with the WD disk, but you don't.

Check out Disk Utility's help -- it will do various RAID things, including Striped.

That doesn't necessarily mean your drive is good; just that DU should be able to handle it.