Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW: Exporting and Versioning

Aperture Pros,

I, like many of you I'm sure, shoot in RAW.
I, like many of you I'm sure, edit in Photoshop.
I, like all of you I'm sure, use Aperture.

Yet, it doesn't seem like there's any way to export Masters in RAW format to Photoshop... in RAW format. It has to go through conversion to TIFF, first.

This, of course, ruins the purpose of shooting in RAW. It doesn't let you edit parameters like exposure and white balance in Photoshop when it is converted to TIFF.

Additionally, it prevents you from keeping track of versions since this export capability isn't natively supported.

Someone please put an end to my misery. What to do? Do I need to switch to another software for this support (Lightroom?).

Thanks!

Message was edited by: krazyj

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 10:46 AM

Photoshop cannot edit RAW files. It always works on files in a different format such as PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc. That is why, when you save a file from within Photoshop, those are the options. Photoshop cannot edit white balance on a RAW file. You are likely using Adobe Camera RAW to do that, which is identical functionality to what Aperture offers. Do this work before you choose "edit in Photoshop."

Aperture is a RAW processor. The same as Adobe Camera RAW (which is what Adobe uses when you double click a RAW file, so you can set white balance, etc), and the same as Lightroom. You use one of these tools to "develop" the RAW file, and then send it to Photoshop for final processing.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2009 10:46 AM in response to krazyj

Photoshop cannot edit RAW files. It always works on files in a different format such as PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc. That is why, when you save a file from within Photoshop, those are the options. Photoshop cannot edit white balance on a RAW file. You are likely using Adobe Camera RAW to do that, which is identical functionality to what Aperture offers. Do this work before you choose "edit in Photoshop."

Aperture is a RAW processor. The same as Adobe Camera RAW (which is what Adobe uses when you double click a RAW file, so you can set white balance, etc), and the same as Lightroom. You use one of these tools to "develop" the RAW file, and then send it to Photoshop for final processing.

Feb 25, 2009 10:51 AM in response to krazyj

There is a conceptual issue here.

Aperture is a raw converter/processor/editor. That's why when you go to PS from Ap, you send tif or psd to it. If you want to use ACR in PS/LR as raw processor, then you might consider a different tool or use Ap only as DAM, post to PS work.

Perhaps you would be just happy and not be in "misery", as you say, by sticking with Bridge and PS.

Cheers

Feb 25, 2009 5:01 PM in response to krazyj

Unfortunately, no. Once you export the RAW file, and do something else with it, Aperture's not aware of what's going on. I can see this being handy in some situations, but it's not all that feasible, as what goes into ACR is completely different than what comes out. A RAW file goes in, and a PSD or TIFF comes out, and Aperture would have no way of knowing about the changes.

RAW: Exporting and Versioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.