Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall bluetooth using pacifist

can anyone advise on how to reinstall BT using pacifist + install disk?

regular system profiler shows BT "No information found"

but when I boot from OSX install disk it shows up just fine in system profile.

hence I'd like to reinstall the BT alone.

I've got pacifist but it shows a bewildering array of files for BT - I don't know where to begin...

thanks

Mac Mini 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 6:53 AM

Hello david:

Before you reinstall anything, I would try a couple of things:

Reset PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Trash a preference file (com.apple.safari.plist) and restart.

If that does not help, I would probably do an archive and install (rather than guessing which files to extract from the DVD.

Barry
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2009 6:53 AM in response to david gleeson

Hello david:

Before you reinstall anything, I would try a couple of things:

Reset PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Trash a preference file (com.apple.safari.plist) and restart.

If that does not help, I would probably do an archive and install (rather than guessing which files to extract from the DVD.

Barry

Mar 2, 2009 8:37 AM in response to david gleeson

Barry and RonL,

thanks both for your suggestions. I had already been through PRAM zap and preference farming per suggestions on another thread re. bluetooth decay.

Further to above, threads suggested limited reinstall using pacifist - and while that may work for some sections of the OS, bluetooth seems to sprawl through many different areas of the disk making it far from straightforward.

So, rather than cause more damage and headaches, I did a full reinstall and archive a few days ago. Pita for apps, but Bluetooth came back smiling, as expected.

One piece of advice to others in similar predicament: don't assume it's a hardware problem if/when BT disappears. System profiler can be a useful tool in this situation on several levels.

reinstall bluetooth using pacifist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.