Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing 3rd Party Apps in Mac OS X 10.5

Normally I have no problem doing this - just drag and drop to the trash but I recently downloaded via MacUpdate Promo an app called Clips and I can't get rid of it. No matter what I do via command to Trash or drag and drop to Trash I'm told that the application is running and cannot be deleted. It must be running in the back ground because I can't get at it to close it. Can anyone shed light on this ?

Macbook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 10:10 AM

Hi,
First check if the original installer (if it came with one) has an uninstall option. This usually sits just before you select the drive to install to.
If there is no uninstaller there, search through the menus, there may be something like "Remove ..." or similar.
Failing all the above, start the activity monitor, find your running app, select it and kill it - red stop sign on the toolbar. Once inactive, you should be able to delete it.
Or see if it is in the Login Items under your user account, if so remove it from there (minus button), restart and try trashing it.

Message was edited by: i.3d
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2011 10:10 AM in response to TheStormbird

Hi,
First check if the original installer (if it came with one) has an uninstall option. This usually sits just before you select the drive to install to.
If there is no uninstaller there, search through the menus, there may be something like "Remove ..." or similar.
Failing all the above, start the activity monitor, find your running app, select it and kill it - red stop sign on the toolbar. Once inactive, you should be able to delete it.
Or see if it is in the Login Items under your user account, if so remove it from there (minus button), restart and try trashing it.

Message was edited by: i.3d

Jan 4, 2011 10:10 AM in response to TheStormbird

Clips does install as a login item in your user account.

Launch Clips' preferences from the menu bar icon and uncheck the item "on login; Launch Clips", and "show Application Icon in;dock & menu bar"

Check System prefs > Accounts > login items and delete Clips if still there.

Log out and back in and try trashing it again.

To be sure you've cleared all it's parts you can try a shareware app like AppDelete or AppZapper.

Removing 3rd Party Apps in Mac OS X 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.