Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommend a basic drawing program?

I need to make some figures for a math project, and I realized I don't have a basic drawing application. I just need to be able to draw circles, shade regions, arrows, that kind of thing. I also need to be able to label things, so I need text (including greek letters, or even better, I would just insert the text as images from latexit).

I have Seashore but it doesn't seem to have a circle tool. What's a good program to use for this kind of drawing? Preferably a free one.

Thanks!

macbook - white, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 2:47 AM

8 replies

Feb 28, 2009 4:44 AM in response to Terabithia

My previous computer came with a program called OmniGraffle, and I have found it to be great. If was not pre-instaled on my new MacBook Pro, though. It's not free, unless it happens to be sitting on your computer already and you're not aware of it.

There's a quite good, but complex, vector drawing program like Adobe Illustrator called Inkscape... the downside is that it isn't a native Mac app. It's a Unix app and requires X11 (available on your Mac OS X install disk as an optional install). There's also a similar program (also requiring X11) that is more like Adobe Photoshop called Gimp.

Hope one of these can help you!

Feb 28, 2009 8:05 AM in response to Terabithia

For simple (and even some complex) shapes and labels, arrows, shading, etc., I use the drawing tools in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). Since most of my work is done in those applications, it is quite handy.

If you don’t have MS Office, you can try some of the dozens of freeware, shareware or commercial drawing applications listed on VersionTracker.com.

Recommend a basic drawing program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.