12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2009 6:25 PM by richiejazz
richiejazz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Firstly I need to say that I do not use the iTunes library - I rip all my albums as highest quality mp3s in windows media player and store them as files. I then drag and drop the files I want straight onto my ipod thus bypassing the itunes library and the automatic download of artwork feature. So I then tend to add artwork to my ipod albums manually, however out of about 500 albums, around 20-30 of them already display artwork on the ipod. Where did this come from? I assume it was written into the files when I ripped them. NOw, when you rip files in Media PLayer and youre on the net, usually artwork will be displayed in a box with artist and album, so my question is does windows media player attach artwork information to individual mp3s when you burn them and if so how do you make the program do this all the time? Ande does this have something to do with tags?? Its real handy to drag music onto your ipod and have the artwork already there for you (without using itunes library!! and yes guys I know thats the easy option so please dont tell me that!)
thanks

VAIO, Windows XP Pro
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (58,200 points)
    ...so my question is does windows media player attach artwork information to individual mp3s when you burn them and if so how do you make the program do this all the time? Ande does this have something to do with tags??

Yes, but WMP has a habit of updating only it's library on import or manual update. It queues up "media information updates" and amy never get around to applyig them at all. There is an option somewhere to "apply media information updates" which, one hopes, does what it says.
    Its real handy to drag music onto your ipod and have the artwork already there for you (without using itunes library!! and yes guys I know thats the easy option so please dont tell me that!)

What's your objection to using iTunes? At least if you edit the information in iTunes it will update the file immediately.

tt2
  • richiejazz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    So if I apply 'Media information Updates' then will the artwork be attached to the mp3 file wherever I take it??

I dont want to use the iTunes library! An I dont want to have to SYNC a library to my iPod. I want my music where it is in folders either as high quality mp3s or wavs and to drag and drop stuff onto my ipod when and where I need it.
  • Katrina S. Level 7 Level 7 (24,090 points)
    WMP stores the artwork as a .jpg in the folder with the music file. It doesn't write the artwork to the MP3 tag. If you google 'WMP artwork', there are quite a few articles on it. You can refresh WMP all you want, but it still won't be in the tag.

WAV files don't even have the ability to carry artwork in them. Your ipod won't hold many songs if they're all in WAV format, either. An MP3 that's around 6MB will be about 36MB in WAV format.

To get album artwork on the iPod, the artwork has to be embedded in the MP3 file as a tag. You're going to have use some kind program to get artwork into the MP3 file tags - if not iTunes, then something else.
    So if I apply 'Media information Updates' then will the artwork be attached to the mp3 file wherever I take it??

Supposedly... Like I said, WMP has a laid-back approach to updating tags. Whether you like iTunes or not, it will immediatly update tags with information you supply. If you want control over what's in the tags then iTunes is the better product for media management.
    I dont want to use the iTunes library!

If you mean you don't want iTunes to reorganise your files then I'm right with you. I have my files just where I want them and don't let iTunes manage the folder structure or create copies when I'm adding things.
    An I dont want to have to SYNC a library to my iPod. I want my music where it is in folders either as high quality mp3s or wavs and to drag and drop stuff onto my ipod when and where I need it.

iTunes doesn't force you to use the sync features, although I happen to think it's much easier to create playlists in iTunes and sync these when convenient. It also means I can make use of tools such as FindTracksWithoutArtwork and once I've made my updates in iTunes know these will all get uploaded to my iPod. Once you embrace the concept using sync gives you more control than dragging & dropping.

tt2
    I know i Tunes doesnt force you to sync, but it seems you have to sync stuff to move it from you iTunes library onto your iPod. UNfortunately you cant manually mive stuff between the two. And as I already have a full ipod thats not in itunes - i cant sync anything new between the 2 cause it says it will erase everything current on th ipod and just sync whats in the library.
    ... And as I already have a full ipod thats not in itunes - i cant sync anything new between the 2 cause it says it will erase everything current on th ipod and just sync whats in the library.

Aha, a different problem altogether... Sooner or later your iPod will get corrupted, damaged, lost or stolen and if the iPod contains the only copies of your music you will be decidedly grumpy. It's time you had at least one more copy of each track on your computer's hard drive. If space is an issue external drives are really quite cheap these days.

*Recover media from iPod*
    Check out this post from Zevoneer for some iPod media recovery options.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6273675&#6273675

tt2
    Oh rest assured I have backups! Most of my thousadnds of albums were ripped from cds anyway its just they're all in folders on my pc - not in iTunes and a lot of the tags need editing. So i guess sooner or later i will have to give in and export everything into itunes even though I dont really want to. How does the sync work btw? Does it go by the latest modification to whatever device? Will syncing ctually ever delete anything??
    When you import albums into the iTunes library they still get arranged in folders. You can either choose to leave them just where iTunes found them (my preference) or let iTunes mangle them about. iTunes sync is one way, to the device, and it compares copies in the library with any existing copy on the device, adding, overwriting or removing tracks to reflect the changes in the library. Syncing won't delete things from iTunes, but will let you remove selections from the iPod to make room for other stuff. Unless you need to routinely manage the iPod in multiple locations from multiple machines, sycning is just so much less hassle. As you tidy your library, update artwork, tags etc. you just sync and every change will be carried on to the iPod.

tt2
    ++sycning is just so much less hassle. As you tidy your library, update artwork, tags etc. you just sync and every change will be carried on to the iPod.++

So does that happen vice versa too? Like if you edit something on iPod elsewhere then use it on your normal computer..

I probably going to give in and start building up my iTunes library in the same image as my iPod - just in case I ever have to reload everything! (Although I think its stupid that you cant copy the contents of your ipod INTO your iTunes library.
    One question though - I have just added music to my library from my huge music drive and it took ages to load in and auto find all the artwork, BUT has all this music been physically copied across into iTunes/an iTunes folder? Its not just effectively short cuts to the original music files you wanted to add to the library is it (ie like winamp!)? I only ask cause I had some old videos from my iPod left in the library and I couldnt play them cause it said couldnt find original file....
  • GARTH Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    richiejazz ,

You're paranoid and untrusting of iTunes because of having to register your iPod and link it to the Apple iTunes store? Or maybe you have to create an account and use your credit card? Or maybe iTunes will report back to Apple's servers that your music is illegal? lol..
    Whatever it maybe, I assure you that relinquishing control and allowing iTunes to manage your MP3's (media) is far better than not. There is no need in having to interact your music in folders when you use the iTunes interface to work with each and every music file you own. iTunes will update album art, you can then edit ID3 tag data. Create many different types of playlists that you can access on your iPod. I've used iTunes since 2004 and I wouldn't change it even though it acts quirky at times. I even have my mom using it since Dec 08.
    Well Mate... Good Luck
    Cya
    Garth, Georgia, USA.
    richiejazz wrote:
    ++sycning is just so much less hassle. As you tidy your library, update artwork, tags etc. you just sync and every change will be carried on to the iPod.++

So does that happen vice versa too? Like if you edit something on iPod elsewhere then use it on your normal computer..

No, it's one way, from iTunes to the iPod. If you connect an iPod to another computer & manually add or amend a few tracks then next time you sync with your home library those updates would be lost.
    I probably going to give in and start building up my iTunes library in the same image as my iPod - just in case I ever have to reload everything! (Although I think its stupid that you cant copy the contents of your ipod INTO your iTunes library.

The aim is to discourage casual piracy with the iPod as vector. iTunes can copy store purchases from the iPod, since it "knows" you have a licence for them. There are 3rd party tools that can copy other media from an iPod into the computer. You could use these, for example, to let you add some stuff to your iPod at work, then pull it into your library at home.
    One question though - I have just added music to my library from my huge music drive and it took ages to load in and auto find all the artwork, BUT has all this music been physically copied across into iTunes/an iTunes folder? Its not just effectively short cuts to the original music files you wanted to add to the library is it (ie like winamp!)? I only ask cause I had some old videos from my iPod left in the library and I couldnt play them cause it said couldnt find original file....

It all depends on the options set when you imported your library. Select a track in iTunes and use CTRL-I to "Get Info". At the bottom of the Summary tab is a section showing where the file is located. iTunes can either add files by linking to their existing locations, or make copies inside it's own folder structure. If you have the option to let iTunes "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" set then it will have created copies. While it's no bad thing to have a backup there are plenty of posts on this site along the lines of "Help! I've imported my music folder into iTunes to add some new tracks and now it's full of duplicates" to suggest a flaw with this mechanism. For this reason I choose to manually orgainse my music inside the iTunes Music folders before importing into iTunes. Likewise I choose not to let iTunes "Keep iTunes Music folders organised" and maintain control over the layout of my files.

tt2
    Cheers TuringTest. That clears a few things up. Sorry, I actually found the 'Copy files to iTunes folders' option just after I posted that question - so then normally it would just shortcut music to the origianl file....
    I think yeah I'm just going to copy all my music from my music drive into iTunes and let it copy the files, cause I wouldnt mind editing a few things differently for my iPod. Just means when I rip a new CD I'll have to remember to copy it into iTunes as well as my music drive etc. Space isn't really an issue so dont mind effectively having 2 of everything - useful to have several backups anyway!!!