Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat Memory Hog

Hello all.
I had a Macmini a while back and randomly a problem appeared and iChat seem'd to be using over 1GB of memory after I finished screensharing and my computer lagged so badly I had no control over it and had to force it to shutdown.
I reinstalled the OS.

I have now gotten a macbook and iChat seems to be using 1.3GB ram and not responding after a screensharing session. I haven't checked what its at before the session. For now I am using adium but I would like to use iChat because of screensharing and video chatting.

Thanks
~ryan

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1 External HD, 150 GB, iPod Touch 8GB

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 4:52 PM

10 replies

Jun 22, 2009 8:21 AM in response to RSully

I glanced at Activity Monitor and noticed that iChat was taking up 650mb of RAM... which is just ridiculous.

I then, after finding something about it on the Internet, cleared the list in iChat's "File Transfers" window.

In doing so, my RAM usage shed 600mb. A colleague did the same and saved 1gb!

Apple: Please sort this in Snow Leopard, it's a bit silly!

Hope this works for you (and make sure you have Activity Monitor open in the background when you do it as, when you see the memory usage go down, it's quite cathartic!

Cheers,

Andy

iChat Memory Hog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.