Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i retrieve deleted photos from the iphone?

Can I retrieve deleted photos from the iphone? If they have not been downloaded onto my laptop yet, is there a way to get them back? My friend deleted some pics without asking and i want the pics back. Is there like a recycling bin for the iphone that i can go to for pics?

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 3:05 PM

8 replies

Mar 3, 2009 3:18 PM in response to jwinthehouse

Photos in your iPhone's Camera Roll are included with your iPhone's backup.

If you haven't synced your iPhone with iTunes since these photos were deleted, and the photos were captured by your iPhone before the last sync, you can try restoring your iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup - do not sync your iPhone with iTunes before doing so.

And start importing these photos by your computer as with any other digital camera.

Mar 3, 2009 3:20 PM in response to jwinthehouse

Hey jwinthehouse,

You may be able to recover the photos by restoring the iPhone from backup.

Notes:
+Information you can sync from the computer (e.g., photos, videos, songs) that are not stored in the back up will need to be resynced. Photos you take with iPhone are included in the backup with iPhone software 1.1 and later.+ from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

-Jason

Mar 3, 2009 4:04 PM in response to jwinthehouse

jwinthehouse wrote:
well last time i had stored a back i guess was last year, so i'm not thinking that's gonna work. i backed up my phone just now, but that's not gonna do anything either i'm guessing

No, unfortunately that won't help recover the photos that are missing.
It will help recover photos or data that that is currently on the iPhone.

-Jason

Mar 3, 2009 4:10 PM in response to jwinthehouse

Did you read my post at all?

Obviously not.

My instructions included do not sync your iPhone with iTunes before restoring your iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup, which updates your iPhone's backup erasing any of these photos available with your iPhone's backup, and manually updating your iPhone's backup did the very same thing.

Your iPhone's backup is updated if needed as the very first step during the sync process - if any of the data included with your iPhone's backup has changed since the last sync, which is usually 100% of the time when syncing.

And photos available in your iPhone's camera roll should be imported by your computer, as with any other digital camera. Had you followed the specific instructions provided, there was a good chance these photos would have been recovered but since you didn't, more than likely you should kiss these photos goodbye.

Can i retrieve deleted photos from the iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.