Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting yamaha keyboard to mac/garageband with hosa USM-422 cable

Driving me nuts 😉.

Relatively new to Mac. I purchased a Yamaha PSR-E213 keyboard, and a MIDI-USB cable from Best Buys. The cable is from Hosa Technologies, model USM-422 and is MIDI to USB 2.0.

Couldn't get garage band to recognize a MIDI device was connected at all for awhile, then finally realized I had to hook up the MIDI cable labeled "IN" to the "OUT" port on the keyboard. Duh. After that, Garage Band says it detects a MIDI device. I can create a new track, play on the keyboard, and get a note to sound in Garage band every so often. If I play about 8 notes in a row, spacing a few seconds between sounding each note, maybe 2 of those notes will garage band sound.

So, something is wrong.

The cable I purchased did not come with a CD containing any drivers. The Hosa catalog says it works with the Mac, but requires "CoreMIDI" whatever the heck that is. It smells like it's part of the OS that I probably already have.

I found under the Applications folder a "MIDI Utilities program". When I launch this, it shows a USB MIDI device, and I can open it up, but it's all read only. I can change the name, but the ports that are listed (1 for out, 1 for in) aren't editable. So I can't see that there are any settings I can change that might affect this problem.

The keyboard itself has only a couple of options related to MIDI. A local/on-off which doesn't do anything but control whether or not the internal speakers sound when keys are pressed, and an "InitSend" function that doesn't seem to do anything. So I don't appear to have any settings on the keyboard that I can tweak either.

Completely stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 6:07 PM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2009 11:41 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

Yes, it's a stumper.

I may just cave and try a Yamaha UX-16 cable. Could be sending good money after bad if it doesn't work either, though.

The hosa cable I purchased at best buys I've noticed in online ads some sellers say it works with Mac and others say it doesn't. The hosa catalog itself says it works with OSX and CoreMIDI, but I've not been able to tell for sure if CoreMIDI is something I automatically have or if it's something I have to find and install from Apple site.

Connecting yamaha keyboard to mac/garageband with hosa USM-422 cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.