Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressing a 2-hour long video for the internet

Hi all,
I'm having this issue with a customer, who is requesting a video for a press conference to be placed on the internet.
The video will be shot on HDV, edited in FCP and then compressed in some way to be viewed on streaming on my customer's website.
I've been trying different formats and sizes, but I'm not sure I found the best compromise.
What kind of compression should I adopt, in your experience ?
Since the video will be showing talking heads, I also tried to reduce the fps (to 15) but I couldn't lower the file size to less than 10MB per minute.
The final length of the video will be around 2 or 3 hours (don't ask who will watch them...).

ANY suggestion is welcome!
Many thanks

Michele

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 9:43 AM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2009 10:00 AM in response to stuckfootage

Hi stuckfootage,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried H264 with different settings and the best I could obtain is 21,6 MB for a 2-minute test video. I also tried flv/f4v (with Adobe Media Encoder) and the result is quite similar.
If I compress a 2-hour video, I guess a 1,2 GB file will come out!
I'm really trying to considerably reduce this file size.

Has anybody managed similar video lengths (2 hours and more) ?

Thanks

Mar 4, 2009 11:26 AM in response to Mouse Remy

Hmm, that sounds about right. A typical 45 min video that you would download from iTunes is going to be about 500 MB for a SD version and 1.25 GB for the HD version. So a 2 hour standard definition video should be around 1.2 GB. You are getting exactly the file sizes that you should be getting.

Yes h.264 is considerably reducing the file size. A two hour DVD would have an MPEG-2 of over 4 GB in size.

Mar 4, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Mouse Remy

Another idea that is worth testing is to download the screen capturing program "ISHOWU" and tweek the settings to the desired output size. Then use your computer's DVD player to play the video while capturing it using ISHOWU. Be sure to set the program to hide during recording, and remember to set the audio to record internally. It will produce the most amazing quality at a file size so small it blows me away to this day. (because I've tried probably every compressor program and yielded nothing compared to the results from this program.)

Compressing a 2-hour long video for the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.