Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod Menu and Center buttons will not work

I need help. I own an iPod Nano 4th Generation and its center and menu button will not work. I have tried restoring it, and that doesn't work. I have also tried pressing the buttons repeatedly at a fast speed, still no response. Any ideas or proven solutions short of buying a new one?

PC, Windows XP, iPod Nano 4th Gen(8gb) , iPod Shuffle 2nd gen

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 6:05 PM

11 replies

Jun 23, 2009 8:44 AM in response to coolman234

I recently had the same problem happen to my iPod. While working out at the gym last week the device spuriously changed the volume, stopped, and sometimes restarted playing all on its own. After my workout I found that the scroll wheel and center button were not responding. The hold button still worked, but that's all. I could not even reset the device. I connected it to my computer and restored the software through iTunes, but that did not fix the problem. So I made an appointment with a local Apple store to get it checked out.

By the time I got it there (two days later), the iPod was dead. The tech at the genius bar plugged it in but could not get it turned on. Since they didn't have any replacements in stock, she set me up for mail-in repair.

A couple of days after I sent my iPod to Apple, I got an email from them saying they were shipping it right back unrepaired because they "have determined that it has been subjected to accidental damage or misuse," with no explanation given as to how they came to that conclusion. I have taken very good care of my iPod, always keeping it in a leatherette case when not in use, so I can't image how they can claim I misused it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully had this problem fixed.

Jun 23, 2009 11:46 AM in response to Trevin B.

Is it possible that the temporary erratic button operation is linked to moisture on the click wheel (i.e. sweat)?

Before I replaced my old 2G Mini, I noticed that some moisture on the wheel would cause the volume adjustment to be erratic. I had that in a silicon case, but with window and wheel exposed.

Similarly, my Nano 4G is in a hard case with window and wheel exposed, but somehow sweat works its way onto the wheel then between the case and iPod (sits on the shelf of a treadill).

I have had the problem of the button not responding temporarily, so trying to figure out if this is:

A) iPod Locking - I use Nike+ and have lost workouts when the unit freezes.
B) Defective wheel
C) Sweat on wheel.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2009 8:38 AM in response to falcon351

My guess is that the iPod is overly sensitive to moisture. When I got my (unrepaired) iPod back, there was a form letter with it with a check mark next to "A diagnostic evaluation has determined that the iPod has internal damage related to a liquid spill or submersion, evident by the pink/red color of the liquid submersion indicator. The liquid submersion indicator is located inside the headphone jack."

I took a flashlight and shined it into the headphone jack, then held the unit up under a fluorescent desk lamp, and I could kind of see a faint pink tinge on a sliver of the dot toward the front. The odd thing is, I remember the tech at the Apple store looking in there with a flashlight too, and she didn't notice anything wrong.

I've never dropped my iPod in a puddle or used it out in the rain. The only way I might have gotten it wet was when I removed it from my arm band with sweaty hands, and I was always careful to dry it off with a towel before putting it away.

For a product that is advertised as a gym accessory, it certainly does not seem suitable for that purpose.

Aug 26, 2009 3:32 PM in response to Trevin B.

I would agree that the unit (4th gen nano) is overly sensitive to moisture. I have never had the iPod in the rain or exposed to the elements. I do sweat alot and the iPod stays in a Nike+ armband while running and when charging. The tech that looked at mine suggested it would have to have been exposed to "significant" amount of water. He also described the indicator as litmus paper, which in my opinion would take very little water to force a false positive.

My problem was initially a constant reset (every 15-30 seconds)and when I successfully got the checkmark on screen was able to restore the iPod. Now the scroll wheel is not fully operational. It took me 15 minutes to get the menu selection to "end workout".

I'm going to do some more research and report back. If nothing works, I'll be writing a nice letter to Apple.

Sep 6, 2009 9:55 PM in response to coolman234

I've had my iPod nano 4G replaced twice and now it's dead again. I use the nano only for running and whilst I do sweat a bit during long runs, I use a nikeplus armband and try my best not to touch the device without wiping my hands dry.

A bit of history - bought my Nano the end of September last year. The first one suddenly stopped working and would not turn on two months later. Took it to one of the authorised Apple service providers and their initial analysis said that there appeared to be liquid damage. Anyway, it must have been OK cos they replaced it. My second nano was OK up until August. After one particular run, the backlight stopped working. Again I took it to the same service provider. And again they said it appeared to be liquid damage (what else would they say?). Again, they sent it to apple for an assessment and agreed to replace it. So, onto my THIRD nano, I took it out for a run again. This time it lasted one run and it stopped working 4K into my run. The only thing that works is the hold button - all the other buttons don't work. I took it to the same provider again and this time they threw it back to me saying there was liquid damage in the headphone jack! I mean - what a joke - I ran for about 4K - hardly sweated at all and somehow there's liquid damage? So, I called up Apple and spent about an hour on the phone with the customer relations people. They've advised me to take the nano to another provider for a second assessment. What a waste of time.

I also own the 1st Generation Nano and that seems to have lasted a lot longer compared to the 4G one. It's just a joke that apple have collaborated with nike plus to develop a product that is supposed to work for runs. If a little bit of moisture/sweat is going to render the product useless, just what is the point of it?

There's no doubt Apple make great looking products and I for one am a sucker for them. I'll probably waste some more money buying another Nano (perhaps a 5G one after Sep 9th?) but I certainly won't be using it with my nike plus for running.

Message was edited by: supernova23

My iPod Menu and Center buttons will not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.