Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BSOD Error in Windows XP via Bootcamp

Ok, so lately I have been getting Blue Screen of Death errors (BSOD) saying that "IRQL not less or equal". This usually happens while running resource intensive tasks like running iTunes, and playing a game. The computer's resources aren't being anywhere near fully tasked, and I keep it cool with a laptop fan cooler. It's a 15''MacBook Pro CD2 2.5 with 4 GB of RAM, only 3 of which are recognized and utilized by XP. The BSOD usually occurs after my sound output gets static and choppy. My more tech savy friends are saying that it's a RAM issue. The next time it happens, I am going to write down the whole error code, but of course it never happens when I need it to! The computer is under the Apple Care warranty extension that I had bought, but I don't want to have to send it in. I am currently in college, and it would be a very big problem if I had to send it in. Any thoughts and ideas before I go to Apple Support?

I haven't ever noticed any problem while in Leopard, but I rarely/never use Leopard in any resources intensive manner. I use XP via BootCamp for playing games, and for programs that require heavy multi-tasking. I don't know if that helps.

Mac Book Pro, Windows XP, Also running Windows XP SP3 via Bootcamp

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 7:37 PM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2009 8:59 PM in response to Garrett Kronland

This is a Windows error. You need to visit an appropriate Windows forum to seek help. This is the Apple Discussions. Your problem is not an OS X problem.

If your computer boots without a problem in OS X and you don't have any startup issues, then it's not likely a RAM problem. You can run hardware diagnostics by booting from the original OS X Installer Disc One that came with the computer. After the chime press and hold down the "D" key until the diagnostic screen appears. Run extended diagnostics repeatedly over a few hours to allow full error detection. If you get any errors note don't the error message and report it to the technician.

Apple support will not help you with a Windows problem. BTW, if you do "heavy multi-tasking" XP is not your best choice of operating system. OS X or Vista would be better.

Mar 4, 2009 9:36 PM in response to Garrett Kronland

I use XP for heavy multi-tasking, because Mac OS still has a limited library of games available. The games that I am dedicated to, and the multiple programs that I incorporate into it, don't run on Mac, so I am forced to use windows. As for Vista, I would rather wait for another OS that's less resources hogging. XP is much better in that respect, and also is a lot more stable. I am slowly finding appropriate programs that are compatible with Mac, so I can fully make the transition.

Mar 8, 2009 7:33 PM in response to Garrett Kronland

Hi all,
I have a post up but nobody has responded. I'm getting a BSoD (IRQL Not_Less_OrEqual - Stop: 0x0000000xA) while installing XP via Boot Camp. I've been doing a lot of research and I've been on the phone with Apple Techs and I even spoke to a "Level 3" Tech at the store (Quite frankley, they are just a less informed as I am). So my conclusion is, it's the Nvidia Graphics card. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Apr 19, 2009 5:21 AM in response to SeanCooper

Funny you say that. I actually posted my solution to the problem in another post. I found out there are actually 2 different releases of SP2, one being an earlier one and on a later version. I had an earlier version. I then found a version of SP3, installed it, and I'm off to the races. No problems so far. Needless to say, besides my MACs good looks, I miss my PC. I'm really trying my hardest to convert, but.........

BSOD Error in Windows XP via Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.