Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have Two HDs - I want Music on One HD & my Videos/Movies on the other HD.

Hopefully I can explain what I am wanting to do clearly.

I have 3 HDs. (Main Internal HD, 1 External HD with all my Music/Videos as it is right now, and just got another external HD).

I have iTunes installed on my main hard drive and right now everything is working great with all of my music/videos & movies on one external HD. Here's what I want to do:

I want to keep my music where it is on 1 external drive, and move my videos/movies to the new external hard drive and still have them available in iTunes so I can watch them via Apple TV.

How do I move my movies to the new drive and still have them available in iTunes.

HD 1: Music
HD 2: Movies

All in one library.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo + Mini Mac + 1st Gen Iphone + Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Everyone in the World Needs To Watch Zeitgeist The Movie & Addendum!

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 8:38 PM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2009 11:24 PM in response to silexicon

I actually have a slightly similar question that I was hoping I could help with. I currently keep all my music on a macbook but have many dvd's that i would much rather watch on my tv, so converted those into itunes friendly formats and have them on an external hard-drive. I want to keep my music on the laptop itself and keep all of the movies on the external drive, but be able to have everything in itunes so i can use front row and watch them on my connected tv (and still maintain all of the album art, movie art, etc). the closest thing i could find is a tutorial on transferring itunes data (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to -a-new-hard-drive/48) to a new drive that discusses the idea of referenced files as opposed to content files and mentions the use of the consolidate library feature to keep them all in one "library" even if they are files that are referenced off a different location. the problem is that it also says its a one-shot thing that can't be reveresed (and since i've put a lot of effort into organizing my 11gb of music, i don't fancy the idea of losing it all when i attempt consolidate reference files of the movies... even though everything is backed up with the ipod and can be transferred with senuti). anyone try this method or know how to do this step-by-step? so we're not playing around with this as we do it?

Have Two HDs - I want Music on One HD & my Videos/Movies on the other HD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.