5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2009 10:15 AM by AndreTheGeek
dktr Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Hi everyone,

My post is not for a problem but just a question on how to do something. As you all know, clicking the X in the top left corner of an app window does not shut down the process but only the window itself (at least for 99% of apps I ever used) so I would like to know if that may be changed, not for all apps but individually.
Say for example, I want TextEdit's process to shut down when I click the X but not for Microsoft Messenger (or any other random app), is there a way to do that ? Just as each app can be set to open in a determined Space.

Many thanks for any future help.
Lewis.

MacBook, late 2007, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Upgraded to 4Gb RAM
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (46,655 points)
    Hi Lewis;

I seriously doubt that you will see the "Windows" way of shutting down an application when you close a window. From the start since Apple has always looked at the window as a usage of an application and not the total and absolute usage for it, they have always used that method of just closing the window and not the application.

Allan
    tiger
  • dktr Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    BUT, some applications still close that way so therefore it must be possible to change a setting somewhere.
    For example iPhoto, which is Apple-made, clicking the X closes down the process.

Why ? How do I change it ?

Lewis.
  • Malcolm Rayfield Level 7 Level 7 (28,070 points)
    Use Command-Q, instead of the red button, when you want to quit the application.
  • AndreTheGeek Level 2 Level 2 (435 points)
    One option is to get a 3rd-party mouse, like a Microsoft Mouse, with additional buttons. I have one of the buttons programmed in mine to do a CMD-Q for certain applications, and CMD-W in others. This gives me exactly the control I want.
  • Bruce Etnyre Level 4 Level 4 (1,440 points)
    Applications that quit when the window is closed are applications that do not allow creating a new window. iPhoto does this so the application does not get confused with multiple libraries, although you can do it with iPhoto Library Manager, iPhoto does not allow it by default.

Other applications, like System Preferences also quit when the window is closed because it doesn’t allow any other windows to be opened in the System Preferences application. This is really a protection for the user (in Apple’s view) to make some applications idiot-proof.

I don’t think there is an easy way, like changing a setting somewhere, to create the behavior you want. And I don’t think most Mac users would want that option if it existed. We have become accustomed to the Apple method of dealing with windows/applications and many have not experienced the way MS Windows deals with opening and closing windows and applications.

The Command-Q or the 3rd party mouse or trackpad with additional programmable buttons appear to be a couple of work-arounds.