Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up guest network

Hi

Just got a new Airport Extreme (Dual band 2.4 / 5 Simultaneous).

Setup ok - used install to get settings from existing Express setup (which have now been switched off).

But cannot find settings for guest network. Using Airport Utility v 5.4.1 and Extreme has been updated to 7.4.1 firmware.

Is there something that I need to do to enable guest networking? The help facility tells me to select things that are not there! So I am guessing that I have got something to select that is currently disabling this function.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian

iMAC 17 1.25GH + 768MB RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 12:26 PM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2009 7:19 PM in response to Ian Skelton

You cannot create a Guest network if your Airport Extreme is in bridge mode (if it is connected to another router). It has to be sharing an IP address.

You can verify which setting it is currently on by entering Manual Setup, and going into the Internet tab. Look for Connection Sharing at the bottom.

If you already have it set to share an IP address, click back on the AIrport tab, and choose the Guest Network tab where you can then enable the guest network.

Mar 14, 2009 3:49 PM in response to nickles

I have the newest Airport Extreme n draft, dual etc. and have it set as "share IP" and still do not see any guest feature.
I have it running in b/g mode only,
1. because we do not currently have any n to connect to it and
2. because it is set-up in a WDS with two other domed Airport Extreme g's.
Is either of those reasons why the feature is not available?
I didn't really need a new router, I just bought it for the guest feature and the hard disk support.
Any help would be appreciated to find the Guest feature.

Setting up guest network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.