Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Originating File Sharing Mini with Leopard > G3 Beige and Vice Verse.

5400 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2009 1:51 PM by Grant Bennet-Alder RSS
GENERAL LUDD Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 7, 2009 1:17 PM
I guess a sub-heading of this would be connecting to the newest Mac from an older one.

Here is a problem: I can set up the G3 Beige (running Jaguar) as a file sharing server and very easily connect to it from the a Mac Mini by using top menu Go>Connect to server.

Where i run into what seems to be impossible is to do the same thing from the G3. Nothing seems to establish a connection. It is always rejected with a no connection error message.

Both machines are wirelessly connecting through a router. The mini with internal airport and the G3 beige using an external D-link bridge. Both work fine accessing the internet.

Main reason i wanted to do this is that my Shared Printer is on the Mini and i wanted to print something from the Beige to it.

Can anybody help, or am i attempting the impossible.
Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Also Beige G3 running Jaguar
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,105 points)
    What you are attempting should be completely possible.

To establish a File Sharing connection from the 10.2 Jaguar G3 to the Mac Mini \[also running Mac OS X?] you must be certain that, on the Mini, you have checked:
    System Preferences > Sharing > \[√] Personal File Sharing

Then select "Connect to Server" from the G3, and the Mini should appear in the list to connect to. The login screen you see is sent from the Mini, so you must enter a username and password that is valid on the Mini. If you enter an Admin username and password, you can share all disks on the Mini.

--------
    Sharing a Printer is completely different from File Sharing.
    What printer is it, and how is it connected to the Mini?
    Do you have the printer Driver installed on the G3?
    Beige G3,G3 B+W,G4/867,G4/dual 1.25 MDD, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, and 9.2, 10.4 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ
    192.168.5.101 is a local IP Address, from a range normally assigned to private networks, often using DHCP. The :548 is the default "port number" normally reserved for Apple File \[Sharing] Protocol. Your suggesting this makes me think of a few possible issues:

Are the IP adressess of the two computers similar (e.g., the same except for the last octet) but not identical? Are you using DHCP from your Router to assign the IP addresses for BOTH these computers, or is one Manual? Have you assigned (or allowed DHCP to determine automatically) a Subnet Mask so that both are on the same subnet?

If you have a Router, its Firewall protects you from the bad guys on the Internet, so you do not generally need to use the FireWall on each individual Mac. If you choose to turn on the Firewalls on Individual computers, have you allowed for AFP transactions to pass through? This is configured in the Sharing preference pane FireWall subpane as allowing "Personal File Sharing".
    Beige G3,G3 B+W,G4/867,G4/dual 1.25 MDD, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, and 9.2, 10.4 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ
    Only one article matches "ODSAgent". It seems to have something to do with adjusting your computer's FireWall for using Windows to share DVDs:

MacBook Air: Can't see Remote Disc (DVD or CD Sharing) host computer on the network

Since the computer's individaul firewalls are unnecessary when you are behind a Router's firewall, it should not be an issue.

--------

Printer sharing does not rely on File Sharing, and is accessed through a completely different mechanism.

Please tell readers what printer you are trying to share, how it is connected and to which Mac, and whether you have drivers that will run on each Mac or only on certain Macs, e.g., Mac OS X 10.4 driver available, Mac OS 9 driver not available. Or consider starting a new thread with a Printer Sharing type title.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.