Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I print a Postcard Project?

I composed a postcard in IPhoto 8 projects folder. I am trying to print on paper that is designed for postcards. I do not see an option for the type of paper... not sure how to print this doc. Can you tell me how to print 4 to a sheet and two sided printing.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 4:30 PM

23 replies

Mar 7, 2009 4:53 PM in response to Liiizard

Liiizard

Welcome to the Apple user to user assistance forums

I do not believe that you will be able to automatically print this on both sides - I believe that you will have to print side 1 and then turn the paper over and print side 2

select the image for side 1, click print, select the printer, the paper size and the postcard (print) size, click customize and click on settings (the gear looking thing) and select print multiple items per page - the preview should show 4 on a page - click print again and select any printer specific options (paper source, type, etc)

Repeat for side 2

LN

Mar 7, 2009 5:26 PM in response to Liiizard

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. If you have an image editor that can handle layers Old Toad's Tutorials #8 and 8a describe how it can be done.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

NOTE: iPhoto 8's new option in the library rebuild pane, "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" may make this tip obsolete. We'll know when users have occasion to use it and see if that's the case.

Mar 8, 2009 6:27 AM in response to LarryHN

the problem is, I do not have the options that you gave. When I click on Print, the drop down menu includes, Printers,Presets,copies,pages and then a drop down starting with IPhoto, layout, color matching, Paper handling, cover page, scheduler------- two sided, paper type quality, borderless printing, HP real life technologies, Printer driver info, summary.... These are my options. When I click on each area, I am not finding the type of paper, or the area where I can customize. I must be missing something or just not sure how to obtain.

Mar 8, 2009 11:15 AM in response to Liiizard

Then these will work

1 - select the image for side 1

2 - click print and select the printer, the paper size and the postcard (print) size

3 - click customize and click on settings (the gear looking thing) and select print multiple items per page - the preview should show 4 on a page

4 - click print again and select any printer specific options (paper source, type, etc)

Your description sounds like you possibly skipped step 3

LN

Mar 8, 2009 12:05 PM in response to LarryHN

I am really feeling stupid here because none of the options that you are mentioning are available. There is no gear looking thing in the print menu... only in the actual project area on which all it gives me are the dimensions within the document itself. There is no mention of a postcard anywhere in the list of papers.... so frustrated!

Mar 8, 2009 12:44 PM in response to Liiizard

I am really feeling stupid here because none of the options that you are mentioning are available. There is no gear looking thing in the print menu... only in the actual project area on which all it gives me are the dimensions within the document itself. There is no mention of a postcard anywhere in the list of papers.... so frustrated!

2 - click print and select the printer, the paper size and the postcard (print) size

Nothing here about selecting postcard paper - select the paper size in the paper size menu - typically 8.5 x 11 but what ever size your paper is - use a ruler or the package to determine

Same for the print size - there is no "Postcard Size" but there are lots of sizes and a custom size that you can set to anything - again use a ruler or the paper package to determine the size of the finished postcards and set the print size to that

3 - click customize and click on settings (the gear looking thing) and select print multiple items per page - the preview should show 4 on a page

No mention here of the gear being in a print window - it is in the tool bar of the customize window that you get when you click on customize in the previous print window

4 - click print again and select any printer specific options (paper source, type, etc)

Your description still sounds like you possibly skipped step 3

LN

Mar 8, 2009 1:10 PM in response to Liiizard

I have searched through every available drop menu.... there is not a customize anything... no gear/settings area... I have done so many projects like this before in other programs but this one has me stumped! The drop down print menu is different in IPhoto than in any other program. When I click on print this is the menu:
Printer: Officejet L7500
Presets: Standard
Copies
Pages:
IPhoto: (With drop down menu)
Layout
Color Matching
Paper Handling
Cover Page
Scheduler

Two Sided printing
Paper Type/Quality
Borderless Printing
HP Real Life Technologies
Printer Driver Information
Supply Levels
Summary

Across the bottom of the window is

? PDF Preview Supplies Cancel Print

There is no area for customize

Mar 8, 2009 1:27 PM in response to Liiizard

The "CUSTOMIZE" button is not in any drop down window - it is a button on the first window you get after clicking print - the same window that has printer selection, paper size selection and print size selection drop down menus - it is a button in iPhoto '08 that you click on to go to the customize window where there is a gear looking icon in the tool bar for settings

Nothing here about selecting postcard paper - select the paper size in the paper size menu - typically 8.5 x 11 but what ever size your paper is - use a ruler or the package to determine

Same for the print size - there is no "Postcard Size" but there are lots of sizes and a custom size that you can set to anything - again use a ruler or the paper package to determine the size of the finished postcards and set the print size to that

3 - *click customize* and click on settings (the gear looking thing) and select print multiple items per page - the preview should show 4 on a page

No mention here of the gear being in a print window - it is in the tool bar of the customize window that you get when you click on customize in the previous print window

Your description still sounds like you possibly skipped step 3

*You are skipping STEP 3 - click on CUSTOMIZE in the first print window* - you are doing step 4 and clicking on print which will give you the window you describe below

I have searched through every available drop menu.... there is not a customize anything... no gear/settings area... I have done so many projects like this before in other programs but this one has me stumped! The drop down print menu is different in IPhoto than in any other program. When I click on print this is the menu:

Printer: Officejet L7500
Presets: Standard
Copies
Pages:
IPhoto: (With drop down menu)
Layout
Color Matching
Paper Handling
Cover Page
Scheduler

Two Sided printing
Paper Type/Quality
Borderless Printing
HP Real Life Technologies
Printer Driver Information
Supply Levels
Summary
Across the bottom of the window is

? PDF Preview Supplies Cancel Print

There is no area for customize

That is the second print window that you get when you click on print in either:

1- the customize window (if you click on customize in the first print window as instructed)

2- or when you click on print in the first print window skipping step 3

LN

Message was edited by: LarryHN

How do I print a Postcard Project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.