Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default bright white background hurts my eyes after a couple of hours.

On every system I've had since around 1982 I've been able to change the default background to 18% grey or similar.

Obviously, something needs to go into "com.apple.CoreGraphics.plist" to override whatever the system uses to set colors on start up.

I've got 1 week to find an answer to this ridiculous issue or this mac pro goes back in the box and I resurrect my old Redhat system.

Please do not reply to this post say you don't know the answer or have any useful information pertaining to the original problem, or to say that the colors are not changeable, or explain the "DisplayUseForcedGray" and "DisplayUseInvertedPolarity", or, indeed answer a different question that was never posed, or explain that I can use CTRL OPTION+CMD8 in order to toggle "DisplayUseInvertedPolarity", or to say that I should give up as it can't be done. NO, I've not been doing this for 20 years and had countless posts flamed/hijacked by mindless (well meaning?) individuals.

I will patch/hex-edit the appropriate binary to change the 'hard-coded' value my self, but I'd rather not have to go to that length as I can't believe Apple are so arrogant they don't feel the need to give the user access to such fundamental parameters, even on STONG HEALTH AND SAFETY GROUNDS.

There is a way. It just depends where you look.

08/Pro/2.8, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 3:57 AM

16 replies

Mar 8, 2009 4:36 AM in response to Al_________

Ok, I've linked to it, buy why?

I'm sure you mean something other than what I am about to explain but here goes;

Open a finder window and open the +'Show view Options'+ pane, (⌘J). Look down at the bottom and you will see the heading, 'Background'. Choose 'Color', click the little square to the right of that and an additional pane will open up. Select the first tab-a colourwheel and drag the slider down till you see the shade of grey, (if that's what you want), that you like. Click OK to close the colour palette and the click use as defaults.

Open a new finder window. Voila

Message was edited by: gumsie

Mar 8, 2009 4:35 AM in response to gumsie

He's explaining his condition. (Sorry, that wasn't nice, but I couldn't resist...)

To Al __, if you really want help with this, you would provide the information to someone who has offered. However, I get the feeling you just want to rant. You can do that elsewhere.

If you're really looking for a solution to eye strain issues, I don't think that changing white to another color will help you, though I won't go into all my reasoning because I don't think you'd listen. Bottom line, I'd advise that you lower the brightness of the screen to achieve the effect you're looking for.

Mar 9, 2009 6:12 PM in response to gumsie

That only works for Icon View. The annoying fact remains that Apple provides no choice about all the glaring white in the List and Column Views. I, too would love to be able to kick this down a notch or 2, without resorting to lowering overall screen brightness, which is a workaround, not a solution.

Mar 9, 2009 6:34 PM in response to Al_________

How about trying some of the "Universal Access" features.

Open the universal access control pane
Click Seeing/display
then change it from black on white to white on black.

Alternately,
the suggestion on show view options may work. Select by either the color wheel, or create/use the picture of your choice (if you make on of 18% grey that you like) then

click set as default.

Default bright white background hurts my eyes after a couple of hours.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.