Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash and Document Stack Won't Open

I've been running into this problem for a few weeks now. Right now, my Trash nor any folder within my Documents Stack will open. I don't know what the problem could be but it resolves after restarting my Mac. Problem is, within a couple days, it starts all over again. Can anyone please help? The last app I installed before this started happening was MacJanitor (I think). Is that the problem by any chance? Any help would be appreciated.

20-inch iMac (2.4 GHz), 250 GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 11:06 PM

I doubt if the issue is MacJanitor.

Have you checked the boot disk for errors? If not...
Restart your Mac while holding down the C key, pressing the power button and inserting your restore disk all at the same time. An Installer window will open, but do not proceed with any installations. Instead, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities > Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window click First Aid, and then click Verify. If Disk Utility reports errors, click Repair. When Disk Utility is finished, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Disk. Select MacintoshHD 10.x.x and click Restart.

If Disk Utility says the disk appears to be ok then try repairing disk permissions.
Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select FirstAid, then click: Repair Disk Permissions. Quit DU when it's finished and reboot.

If none of the above helps, if you could post a crash log, it might help shed some light on the problem.
How to locate a crash log:
1. Open Finder.
2. Click "Go" in the menu, then select "Go to Folder".
3. Copy and paste this path into the Finder dialog:
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/
4. Click the Go button.
5. Finder opens the folder containing the crash log. Look for a the crash file with a date field that looks like the most recent.

I'm still learning how to read crash logs but there are other helpers here who can!

Carolyn 🙂
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2009 11:06 PM in response to Warheart1188

I doubt if the issue is MacJanitor.

Have you checked the boot disk for errors? If not...
Restart your Mac while holding down the C key, pressing the power button and inserting your restore disk all at the same time. An Installer window will open, but do not proceed with any installations. Instead, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities > Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window click First Aid, and then click Verify. If Disk Utility reports errors, click Repair. When Disk Utility is finished, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Disk. Select MacintoshHD 10.x.x and click Restart.

If Disk Utility says the disk appears to be ok then try repairing disk permissions.
Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select FirstAid, then click: Repair Disk Permissions. Quit DU when it's finished and reboot.

If none of the above helps, if you could post a crash log, it might help shed some light on the problem.
How to locate a crash log:
1. Open Finder.
2. Click "Go" in the menu, then select "Go to Folder".
3. Copy and paste this path into the Finder dialog:
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/
4. Click the Go button.
5. Finder opens the folder containing the crash log. Look for a the crash file with a date field that looks like the most recent.

I'm still learning how to read crash logs but there are other helpers here who can!

Carolyn 🙂

Trash and Document Stack Won't Open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.