Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting by Composer on AppleTV

My music library contains over 10,000 tracks, a mix of rock, pop, jazz, and classical. I have gotten Artists lists under control (i.e., creating a list of searchable performing artists of interest at the top with extraneous conductors, violinists, etc. at the bottom) using a combination of tags in the Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, and Sort Album Artist fields.

However, I would also like to create a searchable list of composers that would differentiate traditional composers (e.g. Mozart) from pop song lyricists, etc. There doesn't seem to be any way to use the Composer and Sort Composer fields in a way that will work because AppleTV seems to ignore the Sort Composer field. I tried to tag all non-composers with a Sort Composer of "zzz" which works on an iPod but on AppleTV this has no effect--all composers appear alphabetically. The result is that I have to scroll through 10 or more irrelevant names to get to each actual composer.

I saw an earlier thread in which someone actually rewrote the Artist-related fields to show composers, but this means losing the info that was already in those fields. Sometimes I may want to search the same piece wither by composer or performing artist. I'm trying to find a way to do this that would not erase or replace legitimate iTunes data.

It seems that this could be solved by simply having AppleTV use the Sort Composer field the same way that iPod and iTunes use it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't understand why these sorting rules can't be consistently implemented across Apple products.

However, the problem at hand is dealing with my composers list. Have any of you classical music fans found a workaround that works?

Thanks,
Philip

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Latest iTunes and AppleTV software

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 11:19 AM

2 replies

Sorting by Composer on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.